From:
Randy Ferret Aid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 01:09:01 -0500
Hello my friends! Boy oh boy it been a CRAZY week!

Auntie Paige is back from New Orleans after more than a week of helping
with Katrina rescue efforts of homeless animals.  She has loads of
stories to tell but hopefully she'll update all of you once she settles
back into normal life.  mommie chatted with her earlier this week and all
auntie Paige could say was "it was a week full of horror, joy, laughs,
tears, sorrow, happiness, reunions and misfortune" i'm sure it was a
rollercoaster ride for her and the other Ontario volunteers that went
out to help.

Our little Rufus is still holding on to life.  He's now on Pred as he's
become Adasen.  After all, he's now lost BOTH his adrenals.  His kidneys
are also failing him so auntie Olympia is giving him sub-q fluids 2x a
day.  Poor little pin cushion boy.  on Friday, he came into the shelter
to visit his old buddies Dork & Boon.  They were all happy to see each
other.  Rufus curled up in the toy box for a nap and Dork tried to lay
on top of him.  Dork is almost 2 times the size of Rufus so poor little
man couldn't breathe!!!  it was very sweet though!

The shelter took in four new kids this week.  All of them youngsters.
Coca & Cola came in on Thursday.  They were bought as Christmas presents
by a girl for her older brother and his wife.  Not knowing a thing about
ferrets, the brother fed them what looked (by their poop) leafy green
vegetables and red something or other.  Anyway, they are now eating well
and gaining weight.

Kit was abandon at a pet shop.  Most of you know her story.  Her owner
walked into a pet shop asking to buy a new baby ferret.  The shop boxed
up a ferret for him and he switched Kit, a sick 2 1/2 month old, near
dead baby with the healthy ferret and took off.  Kit is now doing better
and eating on her own.

Venus came to the shelter from a local animal control.  Her owner abandon
her in an apartment after they moved out.  Venus is very tiny, very thin
and very sweet.  When she arrived at the animal control, she was so weak,
she could barely lift her head.  Thankfully, after a few days at the
animal control and now at our shelter, she is doing much better.  She is
not spayed but is not in any healthy condition to go in for this surgery
yet, though she is going into heat.  mommie is hoping to get some weight
on her in the next week to be able to do the surgery soon.  She's been
feeding her every couple of hours.

On a VERY happy note, the shelter has also had some WONDERFUL adoptions
this week too!  Our 1st annual New Years Day adopt-a-thon was a success.
Riker, the kid who almost died on Christmas eve and made a miraculous
recovery was adopted into a loving home.  His parents came in to meet him
New Years day at the adopt-a-thon and he went home on Thursday.  They
even took Guido home as a temporary foster to see if it would work out!
If it does, Guido may have a home too.  that would make my mommie and
many of the volunteers VERY happy!

Twilight, our bundle of energy also was adopted into a fantastic home on
New Years day.  Her owners had come into the shelter previously to fill
out the applications so Twilight went home that very day.

Victoria and Elizabeth, our mommies to the Canada Day rescue kids, the
mommies with the mostest were officially adopted too!  Although we were
hoping these girls would be becoming American citizens with a very
special friend to the shelter, that never came to pass, but these girls
did go to one of the best and most loving of homes ever.

AND finally, though it made many of our volunteers sad to see him go,
Kelso the boy who loved to bite toes HARD went to a long time supporting
family of the FAS.  It was probably hardest on auntie Paige to learn of
his adoption.  She fostered him for so long and *almost* didn't bring
him back to the shelter.  A few times mommie noticed her wanting to take
him back when it looked like he wasn't doing so well here.  it was also
so very hard on auntie Jenn who would steal Kelso away for a weekend to
her (ADV-) home for a break from the shelter and then call mommie to
let her hear Kelso dooking in the hallways of her home.  He was LOUD!
Auntie Jenn loved Kelso a lot and would often say if she wasn't already
fostering two such sick kids, she would sneak into the shelter at night
and steal Kelso for good!  Many volunteers would day dream of making
Kelso theirs, even auntie Debbie who swore she couldn't have any more
ferrets.  He touched so many of them.

It's also been so crazy here this week as the shelter has been without
water on and off for the last few days.  The city broke a main water
supply while trying to fix something and it's been a nightmare!  Noisy
trucks and orange digging thingies at all hours of the day and night and
mommie's been complaining (we ALL hate that) and when mommie doesn't
sleep, that means all the shelter ferts get woken up for kissing (Yuck!).
There's nuthing i can do from WAY up here though but sympathize with the
ferts in the shelter.  When i was down there, it wuz ME getting all the
kissing!!!

Happy New year to you all!
All my love, Harley "Bug"

The Ferret Aid Society
www.ferretaid.org <http://www.ferretaid.org/>

Join us for the IFC Ferret Aid 2006 Conference!
Book early, almost sold out!!
http://www.ferretaid.org/events/ferret_aid_2006.html