From:
"Meg Carpenter, Chaotic Ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 1995 17:48:05 -0400
Dear FML friends -  When I wrote the story For Dusk, I did not expect the
overwhelming amount of letters that I received, nor did I intend to cause so
many tears.   At first I was distressed, because the story made so many
people sad, but as I read through the mail, I began to realize that perhaps
the tears were cathartic.  So many could relate and so many shared their
losses with me.  So many beautiful letters. I shall respond to each of you,
but I thank you all here now for your caring and loving notes.  A lot of
really nice people on FML - but of course, we know that don't we - ferrets
usually belong to special people.  It took 3 hours on Friday and over 2 hours
on Saturday to read all the letters - and they are still coming in!

Although I had to "shut down" for a few days to emotionally recuperate, I am
feeling better now.  And your letters helped.  I feel a bit of Dusk will be
carried with all of you as I will carry a bit of all the babies gone from
many of you,  with  me.

I am going to post out a few notes here - and than disappear for a few more
days.  I am very overdue in submitting my stories and an article to The
Independent Voice.  My editors are on my trail.

For Rick and others who have ferrets gone AWOL.  When you first discover your
fuzzie is missing from your home - circle your house checking very carefully
around the building.  Ferrets usually will go around the house first near
walls - much as they do when exploring a new room in a home.  Then fan out in
larger circles to try to pick up trail.  Immediately post notices around the
neighborhood and enlist friends in the search.  Also, notify all nearby
neighbors - and your local shelters.

For Sheena Staples - You did not mention whether or not your bald tailed
ferret had any other symptoms - such as an enlarged vulva or enlarged
nipples.  She may be in early stages of adrenal disease.  However, I have
also seen "rat tails" many times in older ferrets, especially after they have
shed coats for summer.  Seems to be more prominent in lighter ferrets - who
also seem to have very pink tails.  All ferrets are pinkish - but darker
ferret's tails do not seem so pink with thinner hair.  Keep an eye on your
baby

Jeanne - Thanks for your note, will write soon, my friend.  In the issue
before last of the Independent Voice - think it was January issue, I gave an
update report on ECE or the "greenies".  At that time, I commented that a few
cases of vomiting had been reported in, but vomiting was still not associated
with the "greenies".  However, since that report, I have had a number of
vomiting cases reported to me.  I think that this now can be associated with
the greenies.  Also, the color and consistency of the diarrhea seems to have
changed.  Many are reporting - mucous, light yellow and deep yellow as well
as green.  The definitive on whether or not it is the "greenies" still seems
to be that grainy or bird seed appearing b.m.'s on recovering ferrets.

For Mish - two blue tatoo marks in the right ear of ferrets - is the marking
of Marshall Farms ferrets.  They are the only ones who can, legally, tatoo
their ferrets in this manner.

For Bruce - thank you for your lovely note on FML re Dusk.  And I hope you do
not lose your ferret to soon - it is so hard.  Also was interested in your
comments on Chordoma - I shall indeed get the path report to see what it
says.  Surgery was done by Roger Hart and not sure who did pathology.  Maybe
I am not remembering the prehensile tail bit correctly.  You are correct -
humans also have this type of tumor, called a pilonidal cyst which forms as
the base of the coccyx.  This condition seems to run in families.
I was going to respond on the "mushy ferret" with pink around bare area -- do
you think this could be cellulitis??  I have had two soft tissue infections -
cellulitis - in ferrets in the past year.  One was in a neutered male and
quite severe.  Thank God I recognized it right away - it blew up so fast.  I
put him on Amoxi, and Tom added Baytril to therapy when he saw it.  Also had
a cellulitis around incision on an adrenal surgery this year.  Inflammation
dissapated within 24-48 hours after starting Amoxi, but kept ferret on
antibiotic for l0 day therapy.

Matthew - I am so sorry for your loss of Suzie.  People may think you are
crazy for feeling her near you for so long - but then they can call me crazy
too.  I don't know why, but I still feel Dusk near me.  Whether wishful
thinking or not,  I do think their little souls stay close to their loved
ones for awhile.

Regards and love to all, meg.