From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 1995 13:18:39 -0500
Well, thank heavens it's finally cooling off a bit. We've had a devil of a
time keeping cool this last week since we have no air conditioning. I've been
very concerned about the fuzzies, Belle especially gets very lethargic.

We tried the frozen 2-liter bottle, but that didn't fit in their cage, so we
used the refreezable bottles instead.  Had to use a hard cased one, was
afraid Caruso would chew through the soft ones.  Wrapped it in a towel and
put it on top of their sleeping box and voila!  air conditioning.  (Made me
envious that I couldn't fit in there with them :-()

Also tried spritzing with a water bottle.  Belle, who hates touching water
except to lap delicately from a bowl, didn't like it at first, til she
realized how good it felt.  Then a spritz or two was welcome, as long as we
didn't spray near her face.  Caruso on the other hand, went wild.  He'd leap
and bite at the spray bottle, try to drink the water as it came out, and
generally jumped about.

Put out a baking dish with water, and used raisins to try to coax them in.
Poor Belle, who would normally kill for raisins, was finally persuaded to
put one foot in the water.  We finally gave in and just gave her the raisin.
Caruso on the other hand, after a few surprised jumps out of the dish, was
coaxed in.  Strangely, once a raisin went completely below the surface of
the water, it may have well disappeared as far as the ferrets were
concerned.  Maybe because they couldn't smell it anymore.

We then put an ice cube in the water.  Caruso went snorkling for it, shoving
it around with his nose trying to scoop it out until it got small enough for
him to grab a hold of.  Then he raced away with his treasure under the sofa.
When it disappeared, he came back to the dish and looked for more.  We
obliged several times.  :-)

Keep cool everyone!

Linda, Richard, Joy, Belle and Caruso