From:
amanda siemens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:01:56 -0500
If you really want to get pet stores to listen to you I have a trick that
nev er fails.  Haveing been involved in councelling fo a long time, one
thing I suggest to women to get their husbands to listen to them will work
with just about anyone who usually ignores you.  It involved going under
cover, so to speak, you have to make them think you are on their side,
not the ferrets.  It's tough, it goes against every moral thread of a
fuzzlover's being, BUT IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM!  I'll give you an example
of a conversation I had with the owner of a petstore who housed their
ferrets (all 6 of them in a rabbit cage that was very gross) People I knew
in that area were planning to protest outside their store if things didn't
improve but I wanted to try this approach because I knew it would probably
work better in the fert's favor.  I approach the manager and start a
friendly conversation.  Right off the bat I mention that I have worked
in a pet store before (common ground is a real asset in these "hostage
negotioations") I mention how hard it is too keep up proper care for all
the animals and how easy it was to let things slide.  He noddes and says
"You got that right"  I go on to say, some people just don't understand
the WORK that goes into these things.  (really lay it on think, you'll
want to barf, but they will want to talk with you more which you want)
"They really don't.  You know we get these fanatics commin in here almost
everyday with threats about how we keep our animals.  The worst is the
ferrets.  Folks don't realize that these things are vicious, we clean
their cage before we get the shipment and after most are gone, it's
suicide to go in there when ther cage is full."

By now I wanted to punch him in the nose, but I continue with sympathy.
'Oh I know, pet stores always get the short end of the stick.  I'd like
to see those people in here trying to clean a cage with 6 of the critters'
(they would love to!) He noddes.  Thinks he's finaly found someone who
understands what he has to go through.  (Gag).  Now to up the ante (there
were only 2 small pet stores in the town so competition was brutal) I
mention how I'd gotten wind of a protest happening soon.  He got real
upset because he didn't want to lose customers to the other store.  I
heaped on the bait.  'You know, these crazy people can shop whereever
they want, I'm just concerned they'll influace others to boycott your
store' (that would be nice, but that wouln't help the ferrets soon enough)

Now I go in for the kill.  'Tell you what, I don't want to see these
crazies hurt your establishment so I'll tell you what we can do.  It's
the ferrets their concerned about right?'  He nods, all the other animals
are in decent condition.  So I go on.  'Do have another one of them kitten
cages (he was keeping kittens in a beautifully large ferret cage)  He said
he had two more.  So I told him to bring one out.  I set it up for him
with clean everything and really went all out (using his own merchandise
to stock their cage! )  Was perfect when I had it done, fresh food and
water, litter pans, toys and hammies.  I say 'there you go, no one can
complaine about them now!" he remarks "those damn things are livin better
than I do!"  I again lend a sympathetic shouldar.  "I know, but now the
nutbars will be pasified and you wont have to worry about losing business.
When you need to clean the cage, and if you do it everyday nobody can say
you are slacking, clean the litter box and give fresh food and water, just
use those heavy gloves (he had the to unload the ferrets with) to move
them into the extra cage while you clean this one' (anything to get him to
actually DO it)

As I was leaving, this looser couln't thank me enough for helpin him out
with the ferret fanatics.  I hated pretending not to be one myself, but
who do you think pet stores will listen to more, people who come in and
stage a frontal attack, or someone who they think is a friend helpin THEM
out from the psychos?  It's a dirty trick, but it helps the ferrets
immediately.

Amanda .007 ferretspy
Montypenny (my ferret secretary extrordinare)

Have you lost your mind? Better check your ferrets hidey hole!
http://www.homestead.com/revelationstoday/rev1.html