Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2006 08:03:51 -0400
>I was a bit dismayed about the listing of an advantage of a free
>standing shelter would be to allow Jean to get her life back.

my apologies to Jean.  probably "life" is not the best word used here.
I did mention that I thought sheltering is not her job, it is her life,
further down in my post.  in her post about the building, she did mention
that it would let her get some privacy back.  I can't imagine that being
a bad thing.

>I've heard this said from a couple shelter operators, about wanting to
>get their life back, and both times it struck me that perhaps they
>didn't have their heart into sheltering.  I realize this post wasn't
>from Jean and that she may or may not feel that way, but there are some
>people that do.

I think every person is different, and some people get burned out while
others never do.  to me, the most difficult part of sheltering would be
dealing with surrenders, not the actual animals themselves, but people
with their flimsy, ridiculous reasons for surrendering, sometimes the
very sad situations they are in which left them little choice, and
worst, seeing the abuse and neglect that some humans are capable of.

I can see some shelter operators burning out the same way some
counsellors, therapists, social workers, vets burn out.  dealing with
other people's problems day in day out is stressful.  not everyone is
capable of detaching themselves emotionally enough to do the job well,
and yet not so detached that they lose empathy.

>Ferrets are living breathing feeling little beings and I consider
>ferrets my life.  Without these precious little beings I wouldn't have
>a real life.  Sure I'd be alive, probably have lots of money and nice
>things, but what meaning would there be to my life?  I could come home
>to a clean house but it would be an empty house without these precious
>little needy beings.

 :)  life wouldn't be worth living if there are no ferrets!

>When I am able to help ferrets and people it gives reason to my life.
>And shelter operators, rescues, sanctuaries do more than help ferrets,
>they help people too.  When one has a sick ferret or a ferret problem
>and needs advice, who might they call?  Or when one is grieving from
>the loss of a beloved fuzzy and needs a strong shoulder, who might they
>call?  Or if one needs a ferrety friend to talk to, who might they call?
>If you guessed shelter/rescue/sanctuary operator you got it.

who does shelter operator turn to for support?

>I do understand that I am a little different and I accept that my ways
>may not be what others consider socially correct or normal and that not
>everyone agrees with them.  But I truly don't understand how anyone
>helping another being doesn't realize that their help gives meaning to
>life in so many ways.

everyone is different :).  I'm not sure understanding is necessary, but
acceptance maybe.  we've seen on the fml that some donors need to be
acknowledged while others are happy just knowing they have done some
good.  the help they give is, regardless, helps ferrets.

I am not a shelter operator, and doubt I ever will be.  the only thing I
know of sheltering is from tales on the fml, conversations with shelter
owners, and visits to shelters.  my intent was only to throw out any
positive as well as negative consequences I can think of, some of which
may be flawed.  after reading posts with a negative slant towards the
idea of a free standing building, I want to try and add something
positive and supportive.  there've been other pipe dreams here that
were realized, Ferrets for Dummies and the first Ferret Symposium comes
to mind.

Selina, Clef, Popcorn, Sorin & Mochi