From:
"Dawn Smith, LOS National" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 2004 02:01:50 -0400
>Galaxy is not a USDA approved or proven preventative against distemper.
>Why use something that has not been adequately tested and proven
>effective when there are 2 USDA approved vaccines on the market?  It
>just doesn't make any sense to me.

When they starting in the 1950s vaccinating ferrets against distemper
they used Galaxy D (it was still being used for a puppy shot).  No
attempts have been made to license it for ferrets with so many year
as trial and use, it was approved by USDA since it had been proven to
prevent distemper.

I am not aware of any known cases of any ferrets that were vaccinated
with Galaxy D that ever contracting distemper and dying from the disease.
To my knowledge there have been known cases of ferrets contracting
distemper after being vaccinated with Fervac D.  For example about 7
years ago, there was an outbreak in California of canine distemper.  All
the ferrets were vaccinated with Fervac D, since that was the only shot
the vets were using.  Another example, about 2 years after that, there
was another outbreak in Ohio, and several ferrets died including a woman
who was from North Carolina who vaccinated her ferrets with Fervac from
the canine distemper.  Other ferrets who were at the show that were
vaccinated by the Galaxy did not contract the distemper but were directly
in contact with infected ferrets.  Now I have not heard of any cases of
the Purevax not protecting ferrets against the canine distemper.

We are USDA licensed and have been since 1995.  We have always used
Galaxy D and even asked USDA if that was a problem and they said that
Galaxy was approved but not licensed but as long as they are approved,
then it was within their guidelines.  So Galaxy is not a disapproved and
is a distemper preventative.

It would make sense that a canine/ferret shot would prevent the canine
distemper.  I am not sure what distemper Fervac prevents or should
prevent, whether canine or feline distemper but the ferrets are prone
to canine distemper.  But all three shots whether you use Galaxy, Fervac
or Purevax are marketed as ferret distemper shots.

I personally aftering a being a shelter of about 15 years and seeing the
reactions of Fervac, will not use it.  The purevax has produced reactions
but only 1 fatality compared to the countless number from Fervac.  I have
not had any fatalities from the Galaxy and to me it seems better for them
since their titers are lower which may have a large part to due with the
very small amount of reactions.  Again, it's your decision what
preventative you want to use.  But Galaxy is approved.

I am sorry that some of you do not feel that Galaxy is not a preventative
but it has been around longer than Fervac and Purevax and the reaction
rates since the 1950s are still less than Fervac's reaction rate of the
shorter time it has been out.  There is a difference between approved and
licensed.  Many things are approved but USDA and not licensed, this does
not mean they aren't good or proven.  Just means the company didn't want
to put out the money.  The Galaxy company does not feel that it's worth
the money when they are approved.  All the responses I received regarding
the reactions, none stated reactions to galaxy but many have used it.  I
know AFA requires Fervac and Purevax because they are licensed and there
is nothing wrong with that.  They are their own show format and therefore
have the right to demand those shots.  But please no more about Galaxy, I
could go on and on about Fervac and my dislike toward it but I chose to
state the facts and only the facts.  Our time would be more effective
spent helping to save shelters, helping new comers and their situations
and general ferret problems.  Many of you probably didnt know or where
not aware that Galaxy was approved but not licensed and I sorry if I was
blunt but it upset me that the wording made it sound as if Galaxy was
not proven and that it was not a good vaccine.  There have been so many
rumors surrounding this vaccine and I wanted to clear them up.

Once again, no more about Galaxy, if you don't like the vaccine, just
don't use it.  I don't use the other vaccines because of the reaction
rates in Fervac and the Purevax is still very new compared to Galaxy.
But my motto is if it ain't broke, then don't fix it.  I have never had
a problem with the Galaxy and that is why I have used it.  But to each
his or her own.  Please no flames and please no more about Galaxy.

Everyone thank for your time and consideration.  Also thank you to those
of you who responded to my virus warning post.  All responses were and
are appreciated.

Sincerely,
Dawn

[Moderator's note: But more comments about Galaxy ARE welcome.  There's
most definitely more to be said that would be very informative.  BIG]