From:
Joyce Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 11:45:52 -0500
>It appears that one of the fuzzies (Nixon) may require surgery for an
>adrenal gland.  I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for Vet to
>do the surgery.  We live just outside of Boston, but for a good doctor
>we'll travel as far west as Worcester or even down to Cape Cod
>(Falmouth/Sandwich area).  I am especially interested in hearing from
>anyone that has had a ferret undergo adrenal gland surgery with a vet in
>these georgraphical areas -- I would really appreciate hearing from you.

I had a ferret (since dead) who had an adrenal out several years ago, and
she had a couple good years after that, and finally died of lymphosarcoma.

The vet for the adrenal was Dr. James Sawyers of the East Boston Animal
Clinic (617-567-0101).  Mine was the first he'd ever done, but it was
textbook, a success, and was about $350.  They're a pain to get to, but he
might know of others who can do it as well.  My current vet is Dr. O'Neill
at the Union Square Veterinary Clinic in Somerville (617-628-2644).  I
don't know if she's done any adrenals, but she really likes ferrets, and
has always shown great interest in learning more about them.

>The second question, which came up in a discussion earlier today is: If
>the cause of adrenal tumors is that the adrenal gland works overtime to
>produce growth hormones, can this then be treated by giving the ferret
>growth hormones, thereby lessening the stress on the gland?

I suspect not -- the gland swells up and produces excess hormones
unnecessarily, which is what makes the ferret sick.  The (theoretical)
treatment you want is something that will sop up & destroy only the excess
hormone.

-- Joyce

--- Joyce Miller, [log in to unmask]