From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 11:44:57 -0600
Wow!  In less than 24 hours, I have recieved 17 inquires to adopt Poncho.
Well, 19, but two were disqualified for having more than 10 ferrets
in-house.  I was asked about that, so thought I might explain a little.

I'm a great believer in the "toss 'em in, let 'em work it out" school of
ferret introductions.  Using that basic method, I've managed to introduce
and integrate ferrets that were labeled as "solitary" or "unfriendly towards
other ferrets." The truth is, this type of behavior, like nearly all
non-instinctual behaviors, can be modified.  They just learn new rules.

But I am also justifiably worried about the long-term effects of stress on
ferrets, and have to question my own motives for bringing a new ferret into
the group.  I do not collect ferrets, I have absolutely no desire to get
"one of each color or pattern." Between you, me and the FML, while I can
easily take care of 20 ferrets, I also know that each ferret misses out on
me from time to time.  I may only see Apollo for his daily check-up, or only
play with Jezabel for 30 minutes.  The point is any number of ferrets over,
say 10, means less time for the other ferrets.  I feel the work necessary to
rehabilitate Poncho requires more than 30 minutes a day, and also, Poncho
has lived 4 or 5 years alone, so the stress levels will be high.  He will
need a lot af attention.

Poncho will need to learn the rules of ferretdom.  He needs to learn how to
play, to not be so timid, to trust again.  I hardly ever see a ferret not
walk across the room, Poncho stays close to the walls.  He hides under my
footwarmer blankie.  (OK, I like my tootsies toastie, ok?).  He is rapidly
bonding to me, follows me all over the place, but doesn't quite know what to
do.  Today, he has been tossing his cookies, which is either due to the 'flu
or stress.  So far its not a problem, but I'm keeping my eye on him quite
closely and have rescheduled his rabies and distemper shots for later.

If you don't have this type of time to rehab this ferret, please write and
remove your name from consideration.  Probably the ideal situation would be
a home with one other ferret, so they can both learn at the same time.  I'll
give this a few days to make sure my screwed-up mail lets as many people as
possible respond.  Then, I'll probably use a lottery for those that qualify.

For those that do not get selected, (and right now that will be 16 of you)
if you really want a ferret, I will get one from another shelter for you (if
you have no adoptable ferrets nearby) or get you in contact with a nearby
shelter if some do exist.  I've had offers of adoption from Texas, New
Mexico, Tennessee and Montana.  I've been to shelters in most of those
states, so know who to contact.  Before the summer arrives, I have to be in
Gainesville FL, Pittsburgh PA, and Seattle WA, so I'm sure I can work
something out for you.  Seattle will be the end of March (I'm scheduled to
give a paper Sat.  morning, March 28th.  My reviewer has a reputation for
severe criticism....Hey, they may be "paper cuts" but they still bleed).
The other two I am desperately trying to schedule (I also have to drop off
pictures and take some in that time, so Bob *will* be busy).

Bob C and 20 MO Cage Sniffers (and 1 cage nipper)