From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jun 2002 15:21:25 -0400
MFs are all tattoed with dots in a very dark blue.  Hagans also have
a dark tat but it looks like an "H" though some kind of get muddled.
Triple F has a pink tat.  PV has no tat.  If the tats and papers don't
match then a store or distributor goofed or misrepresented no matter what
source they claimed.  It doesn't seem to happen as often as it used to,
but it sure does happen as a number of you have attested this week.

Much of the work to reduce mistakes or falsification is quietly done.

The breeders/farms don't want to sue those to whom they sell so they
offer "training" and "education".

From what others here taught me this week at least one chain gets around
it by providing their own health warranties rather than those of the
assorted breeders'.  I can see where some might find this easier; but it
does make me wonder about their "warehousing" conditions, as I have
already said.

When breeders/farms trace down situations in which someone is falsely
passing off ferrets as theirs for nefarious reasons then an out-of-court
settlement can sometimes have the best bang for the buck: they don't have
to try to show how much income was lost or reputation was damaged, and
they get a record to use in court for a really hard punch if the offender
ever repeats.

When abuse is also involved then there tends to be coordination with
humane groups at times so that aspect may take precedence.

>She has a tattoo in one ear that looks something like a Y or a T in a
>slightly greenish blue.

Interesting.  I can't recall what color dye Hagan uses.  Could it be
an "H"?  There certainly are smaller farms other than the "Big 4", so
perhaps one of those or a smaller breeder.

When an usual biter is encountered then several things need to be done:
medical and dental checks are needed in case there is pain.  things like
Cheweasels or Foamy Fries need to be provided in case a face is too short
for the full dental array to erupt normally (and we've even had to have
one have a molar that was forced to erupt in the palate due to short face
removed which meant surgery), training needs to be gentle and especially
repetitive and consistent rather than trying a lot of things in case the
ferret has sensory or intellectual deprivation.  You have to realize that
it may take longer than expected but that keeping records will help.  It
may be that a sound or smell (like a perfume) may set it off, or that the
ferret is easily startled due to not knowing someone is there, or the
ferret is frightened of certain things, or the ferret is happiest not
seeing shoes -- happens with ones that have been kicked sometimes and
having "high" interactions -- no floor near feet for a while and no low
cage -- can be useful, etc.  Observe and record and you will get a
direction for that individual's specific needs, but vet checks come first.
Sometimes the people or the household (even something as simple as the
thermostat setting of the ferret has trouble with the heat) and the
individual ferret are just not a match so then seeking a new home is the
way to go; don't destroy such an individual since it is not fair and
killing is a terrible way to react to anger or frustration.  Smuggle her
out to a safe place in a different state.  Ruffle was multiply deformed
and intellectually impaired.  it took us 3 years of consistency and
gentleness for her to stop very serious canine biting, but for her last
three years of life (No one expected her to survive that long with her
problems but she did.) she never bit anyone and was gentle as can be.