From:
sheena staples <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 21:35:05 -0800
Matthew Madison Strauch <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Over the past few days I have read several posts that say, in one form or
>another, Get used to it, they're ferrets, thats what ferrets do.  It has
>been suggested that instead of training a ferret not to misbehave, the
>owner should be trained to accept the behavior, because it is narural for
>ferrets.  I disagree.

I must applaud your stand!  I agree that while some ferrety behaviours are
natural, they are still unwelcome.  After all, I would hardly let my dog
mark in the house and I wouldn't let my cats dig up my plants, so why should
my ferrets get away with it?

When we had just three ferrets (one time, long ago) they *never* dug in the
plants because they had been taught not to.  They were 100% trustworthy in
that regard.  They also did not dig up carpet under doors, because they had
been taught not to.  They did not climb on the coffee table and they always
used the right potty corner.  We trained them carefully and consistently and
they were wonderful.  Other ferret owners were amazed.

Now that we have 15 ferrets, things are a little different.  Mind you, so is
our home.  The ferrets are split up for various reasons and have different
parts of the house to play in.  None of them are allowed in the living room,
except on special occasions.  And even now, three years later, my "gang of
three" still do not attempt to dig up the plants and while they are getting
sort of old and forgetful, they still try to potty in the right place, if
they can get there fast enough.

We love our ferrets dearly, but we won't compromise *that* far in their
favour and put our own comfort at risk.  I like a clean house, so the
ferrets need to be clean too and they are.  It is still, after all, my house
not theirs.  When they start paying their share of the bills, we can discuss
it :)

Update on our mink:  The SPCA decided Keisha could remain with us so here
she is.  We are making some progress as to being friends - she sat on my lap
for maybe 2 seconds the other day and we've invented a fun new game called
Try To Climb Mum's Arm and Bite Her Face, which includes a long sleeved
shirt and some fancy manouvering on my part.  Eventually Keisha will move to
a large outdoor enclosure that somewhat mimics her natural habitat, but for
now we do the best we can.  We shared a Rice Crispie Square this morning -
actually, it wasn't really sharing since she made off with most of my half
too...

Sheena
Wherret Ferrets Halfway House and Ferretry
Ferret Association of Greater Vancouver