From:
Elayne Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 11:19:14 -0800
Please give us your opinions on this issue.  A responsible sounding
couple wants to adopt from Cascade Ferret Network and they mentioned they
are planning on getting a Vizsla puppy early next year and wanted to know
what we thought of that.  We suggested they get the puppy first and once
it has been properly socialized and trained to think about adding the
ferret They had done their research on the breed and have been told it
is better to get any other small animal before the puppy so the puppy
grow up with it.  We found the info below on the breed which makes us a
bit nervous.  None of us have had much personal experience with dogs and
ferrets, is there anyone out there that could give some insight on this
issue.  Puppy first or second and this breed with ferrets?

"Loving, demonstrative and gentle, the Vizsla is somewhat willful and
distractible, but smart and trainable.  This breed needs a patient, firm
hand.  They are reliable with children, loving all the play they can get.
Maybe to too energetic and excitable for very young toddlers, excellent
for energetic kids.  Able to adapt quickly to family life, and are
generally good with other dogs.  Energetic and athletic, the Vizsla must
receive sufficient exercise or they may become destructive or neurotic.
Socialize this dog well and get him accustomed to noises at an early age.
It is very important to obedience train your Vizsla.  They can get overly
eager, prancing around you in sheer excitement.  This breed is highly
trainable and very willing to please; if you can get it to understand
exactly what it is you want of them.  If you do not train this breed they
may become difficult to handle and control.  Example: **See Video*
<http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/Video/VizslaExcited1.wmv>*.  Look for breed
lines that are not high-strung or shy.  Vizsla are known as chewers.
This breed is not for everyone.  If you want a calm dog do not choose a
Vizsla.  They have many talents such as: tracking, retrieving, pointing,
watchdog and competitive obedience.  The Vizsla is a hunting dog and may
be good with cats they are raised with, but should not be trusted with
animals such as hamsters, rabbits and guinea pigs etc..."

Hoping to get some feedback before we proceed with the adoption,

Elayne Barclay
CFN Founder*