From:
Jeff Hazel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 1995 22:06:04 -0500
I have wanted a ferret for years and finally traded in my wife for a little
fuzzy about six months ago (believe me, it was a great exchange). "Misty is a
terrific albino kit and I've also recently adopted "Sabrina", an abused sable
from a local rescue. These ferrets have stolen my heart. I have read
everything I can find and have made an attempt to become a knowledgable
ferret "slave".

It's alarming to read so much on-line about ferret adrenal disease and tumors
and the terrible losses their "parents" must endure. How prevalent are these
problems and what precautions or preparations can reduce the risk of these
health problems? Are ferrets more susceptable to these diseases than other
pets?

It really breaks my heart to read of the tragedies other ferret parents have
had to endure. I ran across this little note several years ago and it says an
awful lot to me:

Dear Loving Mom and Dad,

I came in to this world as one of many baby kits - not knowing how long I
would live or under what conditions. From the moment you first held me I knew
I would be safe and well cared for. I have been so lucky to have been loved
by you.

Under your kind patience and guidance I learned what to do to please you.
And, although I tried very hard, sometimes I didn't remember some of the
things as often as I should - like where to find the litter box, or where I
hid your keys. We had so much fun playing hide and seek, cat and mouse, and
so many other ferret games I loved to play. You bought me many toys, and I
loved them all. But I was just as happy with an empty plastic bag or
cardboard box. How I loved to hide in your clothes hamper, turn over the
trash cans, dig in your drawers, and run in the closet when you left the door
cracked.

The touch of your hand was heavenly. What joy would fill my heart when you
would stroke my fur. And I would giggle and squirm with glee when you tickled
my tummy. I would dream of these times when sleeping and anxiously await your
return every time you walked out of the door. I loved to sniff in your hair
and tickle your ear with my whiskers. You were my life and reason for being.

Oh, and how I loved to go exploring with you. Whether riding on your
shoulder, in your bag, or on my leash. My acute senses heightened to see,
smell, and touch every blade of grass - every flower and bush - and explore
every hole, nook, and cranny. As much as I enjoyed being outside - I could
never make it alone without you. I was totally dependent on you for my every
need and would be lost without you.

As we traveled on this earth together we shared many joys and many sorrows -
and we did it together. You made my life so worthwhile and gave me a life I
would never have had without you. When I became sick and weak I trusted you
with my life in every way. I know you did everything possible to make me
better, but sometimes there isn't anything anyone can do. And with that
loving trust, I knew you would make the right decision for me when the pain
and suffering were taking their toll on my ability to enjoy a good quality of
life.

I am so fortunate to have had such a wonderful person care for me the way you
did. It takes a special friend to be able to ease me into a peaceful sleep
rather than having me endure pain and suffering for your own selfish reasons.
I am in a far better place now and will always love you as you loved me.
Please share that love with others as you did with me and that love will be
returned 10-fold. For I continue to live in my brothers and sisters yet to
come.

Your loving ferret!