From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Dec 2005 15:07:50 -0500
You would think that after 12 years in Rescue and a full 10 years of
sheltering, I for one, would be able to focus.  However in the bustle of
Holiday preparations I have found myself caught short, not enough time to
ready the house, not enough time to bake, not enough time for many things
as the Holiday nears.  More over the frustration and angst as I have been
battling for 13 days with our beautiful new intake Orion.

It seems he just would not eat.  I have run to every corner of the state
purchasing foods in the hopes he would eat.  Trying to dropper our gruel
I have spent countless hours trying to coax him, hold him , etc.  He
lost half his body weight in 13 days and finally he was admitted to the
hospital yesterday.  Even last night I was fretful and upset for the vets
could find no cause for his not eating.  I was upset he seemed jaundice,
but they could not get enough blood to run diagnostics.  They held him
overnight administered fluids and today I picked him up with tearful
eyes.  No diagnosis was made but perhaps an intestinal virus.  In my hear
of hearts I knew that the Holiday wouyld be spent nursing another ferret.
There always seems to be one.  So I went home and divded up my personal
ferrets to make roonm for a nursing cage where I could get to him often
for feedings.  As I brought Orion into the living room I explained to
him he was going to get to stay with Grandma but there was a rule at
Grandma's house that every ferret HAS to eat.  He got acquainted with his
cage which was just like the shelter accommodation.  Then a cat perched
on top of his cage.  I brought Orion out to see how he would relate to
the cat -- since in the shelter I noted his catlike behaviors upon
intake.  They both sniffed and greeted each other.

Once that was over and there was no negative reaction I allowed him to
toddle the floor for a bit _ being weak he did not go far.  Then picked
him up.  I took him into the kitchen opened a jar of baby food turkey and
placed some on the spoon.  He took it all, though he did start with the
grinding teeth routine.  So a half hour later we tried carafate first and
more turkey this time 2 teaspoonfuls.  Orion is not out of the woods BUT
this is the most progress we have made with eating.  Perhaps it is his
need to be in the company of felines.  I expect he is one of the more
emotional furkids we have received.

While I muttered about my expected additional chores during a Holiday - I
was gently reminded by shelter Dad how much more promising things looked
from one hour previous and he is right.  The labors and heartbreaks are
part of the work we do, one should not be muttering these days over added
work and lack of celebration.  Tonight on the eve of the Holiday I am
thankful that there looks to be a glimmer of hope that after the Holiday
we will see the health and vigor return to Orion.

I send heartfelt thanks to those who have supported this work in many
ways, who have shared the work of sheltering, and have tried to educate
and work for better welfare for ferrets.  You are all part of a big
picture, we all are.  The gains we have made over the years have been
great.. and the GIFT IS GREAT.

Happy Holidays one and all from the family Ferret WIse.
Alicia , Dino & all the critters