From:
Darrin Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:27:24 +1000
Point 2.  Socialization of Kits can be start much earlier then the
"8 week" adoption date, ( and should take longer)

quote>>> Kits are weaned and ready to go at 6 weeks.<<endquote

Kit's may be "weaned" by that time but that are still being socialized by
their mother, and the human carers,

As we all know , kits who are not handled young can make bad or difficult
ferrets, but, leaving them alone with their mother for 6 weeks then
suddenly transporting them, or releasing them to new owners is bizarre,
as there is no intervening period of human interaction..

I agree that if you can transfer the kit "directly" to it's new owner, it
will receive some of the socialization it needs and possibly bond closer
to it's adopted parents.  However there needs to be some consideration as
to what the sudden shift from a caring mother ferret, to a total human
stranger, and the effect that will have on the ferrets mental state.

If the mothers are handled correctly when they are young and very well
socialized, then a mother ferret will be more likely to allow the
"breeder" to handle her kits much younger..  therefore, those kits can be
handled way before 8 weeks of age, and will then already be socialized
and familiar with humans.  Handing a young Kit over at that point would
be a much less dramatic event to the kit, because while the kit may feel
the loss of the parent, they are already familiar with humans holding
them, feeding them etc.  (and I believe are more likely to bond to a new
human, then they would be if suddenly transferred from a mother to a
stranger)

So, in my humble opinion, if the ferret is correctly socialized with
humans and other ferrets at a young age, (during or just after weaning)
and if it then remains with it group for more then the "8 weeks", and is
then later introduced to a new owner, it is just as likely to be a "good
and loving" ferret, if not more so, then one that was "not" socialized
when it was young, then separated from its mother at "too" young an age,
and passed onto a total stranger.

OR Worse, then thrown into a pet store situation, ( where it may reside
for months, and months, on its own.), and then suddenly be bought by a
new owner whom it knows nothing about, it may not even be familiar with
humans (pet store "touching" aside), and it has no social skills, because
it may have been kept alone with no other ferrets, and it was separated
from its mother and other ferrets way too early..

The reason pet store have a "no touch" policy, is not for the safety of
the ferrets, but simply to avoid law suits should someone be bitten.

quote
>If any of you frequent a "hands off" store always ask to hold each and
>every kit there, if they will let you.  Spend as much time as you can
>handling and petting each one.  They need it!

I Agree totally, if ANY ferret lover sees a poor ferret in a pet store
they should spend time with the kits if possible ( and if allowed) but
once again , why should any responsible "breeder" depend on a pet store
to socialize kits.. ?  That is the breeders job.  ( we constantly
monitor our local petstores and when kits are brought in, we spend as
much time as we can with them.  but not all petstores allow that)

Lastly, I will say one thing..  early separation from the mother, or
group (be it a ferret group or ferrets/human group) "MAY" allow the young
ferrets to more closely bond with it's new human owner, as it will need
new companionship, but it still may have some problems as it's rearing
and learning processes have been cut short.  Why deny those learning
processes to a young baby ?  All animals (mammals) get weaned at some
point, but most still then continue to grow and learn from their parents.
just because they are weaned, does not mean they are ready to be
separated.

In summary, my thoughts are, if you breed ferrets , allow them to
socialize and learn as long as they can, then allow them to know their
new owners.  Separating them early, sending them to pet stores, or simply
breeding them until old enough to go to new owners (without handling them
while young) , will all result in independent, stubborn, unsociable, an
frankly "unloving" ferrets... Some that have been alone in petstores for
months during this crucial period will NEVER fully trust a human.
however, if they had been well handled and loved before going to the
store, they will have already developed that trust with humans and simply
be "lonely" while waiting for a new companion.  Socialize them before
going to a pet store so that they know the strange hands being poked in
the cage at them are friends and not something to be wary of or worse
something they will develop a fear of.

Also, Those not socialized ferrets will also tend to result in difficult
and stubborn parents, who will not allow you access to their kits as they
don't trust you.  enough, and therefore you wont be able to socialize
with the kits early enough and..thus continuing the circle.

my opinions only

Darrin