Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:39:30 +0100
Dear All,

Thank you Lisa, Julie and Risa, thank you VERY much for your emails.
This is just a quick tap to all to say the new little girl had to go back
to the shelter as it was upsetting Eric too much.  As he has not got much
longer with us, he has to be my priority.  I hope you don't mind Julie,
but I've copied in the excellent advice you gave for others to read....

"I've gone through the ferret introduction process a number of times.
I'm actually more surprised that the new girl immediately hit it off with
two of yours than that Ling fights with her.  For me it can often take a
few weeks or even a month or two before ferrets are fully integrated with
each other.

My first piece of advice would be to keep the new one separate from Ling
for a few days except under extremely close supervision.  You need to be
right there ready to act on a second's notice.  If Ling starts looking
agressive then hold her gently (or is Ling a he?) so that she can get
within a few inches of the new one but can't actually attack.  She needs
to get used to the smell and presence of the new one and learn that the
new one doesn't pose a threat.  Sometimes it can help to sit with them
quietly in a small room like a bathroom while they get used to each
other.  (My husband kids me when I do this, but I do find that it forces
them to learn how to get along.)

Hopefully it won't be too long before you can trust them on their own
together.  They still might squabble for a while, but it won't be the
scary screaming type of fight that makes you worry for their safety.
Eventually you might encourage them to sleep together in the same cozy
spot; my feeling is that once they're sleeping together then they are
totally comfortable with each other and you have it made.

Another trick that sometimes helps is to feed them a treat together out
of a small bowl.  Or you can actually take a liquid treat and dab it on
their fur so that they learn to lick each other rather than bite.  (My
husband also kids me when I do this.  We added a new girl to our group a
few weeks ago, and as I write this we have two little furries who smell
strongly of linatone.)

Good luck, and have patience!  I'm sure that they'll all be good friends
soon."

Thanks Julie, I must admit they've had gallons of Ferretone!!!

Also thank you Lisa and Risa for saying you don't think she's been
humanised, that is a big comfort!  If anyone knows anyone in Yorkshire
that is looking for a first time ferret and will have tons of time and
love for this little girl, please get in touch.  If she's not rehomed by
the time Eric crosses, I will go back for her.

Many thanks,
Susan

--
No trees were harmed in the production of this message.  However, a large
number of electrons were somewhat inconvenienced.