From:
Sophie Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 14:54:46 EST
Greetings to all FML'ers and ferret friends!  I've been getting the FML for
a few weeks now and thought it was time to introduce myself and my baby
girls.  Sinbad is nearly 6 months, Millie is just a tiny 10 week old baby.
Sinbad's sister, Baby Che, died recently due to an obstruction.  After
surgery to remove a piece of rubber from her stomach, she struggled gamely
to stay alive but in the end just wasn't strong enough.  The story in memory
of Sweet Hart made me cry - Meg, I know how you feel - Baby Che was only 5
months when she died - such a short life for such a bright little soul...my
SO & I miss her greatly.

We bought Millie two weeks ago as Sinbad needed company while we were at
work, so I thought I'd have my say about introducing ferrets: we kept them
in separate cages for a few days, then swapped the rags they slept in so
they could get used to each other's scents.  We would also handle one
ferret, then go and handle the other so that they both understood that both
of them were our friends.  Then we let them meet each other in the lounge
room.  After a few sniffs, they seemed to be getting along fine...but it
wasn't long until we heard Millie screeching for help.  Well, off I went to
rescue her from Sinbad, who is a lot bigger...we repeated this process for a
couple of times but ultimately it always ended in a fight ( not just a
wrestle!).  Sinbad just kept on grabbing Millie by the ear and dragging her
off behind the furniture to beat up on her!  We finally decided that most
animals have a hierarchical society - including us humans - and that maybe
Sinbad would lay off once she had proved her dominance.  So we let the
fights continue (under supervision to make sure Millie didn't REALLY get
hurt), and sure enough, within a few days they were great buddies.
Actually, it's kind of funny - Baby Che was heaps smaller than Sinbad but a
GREAT little wrestler - we wonder if maybe Sinbad was just getting
overexcited about winning!!  Something like this -

Sinbad:  Jumppouncebite...I win!!
Millie:  Hiss!
Sinbad:  Jumppouncebite...I win again!!
Millie:  Hiss!
Sinbad:  Jumppouncebite...Hey - whaddaya know?!  I win AGAIN!!!
Millie:  MUMMY!!!

Anyway, I have heaps of questions and stories but they'll have to wait for
another time as I've already said enough.  Just wanted to say how great the
FML is and that it's nice to know there are other people out there who lose
all rational judgement when they hear the word ferret!

Sophie and the Ferals...

Sinbad:  Jumppouncebite!!!
Millie:  Okay!  You win!! *sheesh*