Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 11:30:10 -0400
>From:    Minta Ruark <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: dental question and two ferret behavior comments
>My question is: Has anyone ever had their ferrets' teeth cleaned?  Is it
>worth it to put these little guys through a dental experience (more like
>horror, from what my parents' cat has gone through)?

Minta-

I took my Sophie in for a dental exam because we thought that she had a
devitalized upper left canine and that she was going to need to have a root
canal or have it removed.  It turned out to be badly discolored, but still
alive - so, she had a prophylactic cleaning while she was anesthetized.
Although this didn't make a huge difference to Sophie (her teeth were
pretty clean), I have seen a dramatic change in the behavior of other
animals, as well as in the health of their mouths.  Just make sure your vet
is familiar with anesthetizing ferrets, has the correct size endotracheal
tube, be prepared for the fact that there might be more problems in
Martin's mouth than can be seen right now, and be aware that it is always a
possibility (although unlikely) that an anesthetic problem may arise
resulting in an injury or fatality.  Just my personal opinion.  Good luck.

-Sean

Sean D. Sawyer V'00
University of Pennsylvania
School of Veterinary Medicine