From:
Melody Tomaszewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 1997 09:54:07 -0400
Bob C. is right.  We need to organize nationally to try to get the same
protection that cats and dogs have in every state.

I live in New Jersey.  It is also a kill and test state.  As tragic as the
Kodo case is, let's not forget that on June 6, 1996, THREE ferrets were
killed and tested (of course the results were negative), and I firmly
believe that they HAD NOT EVEN BITTEN OR SCRATCHED ANYONE!

Check out Ferret World for the story---the story of Tiki, Rascal and
Squirrel.  Locally known as the New Jersey Mess story.

This has to stop.  There have been no studies done on shedding to my
knowledge on pigs, cows, or horses for any strain of rabies, even though
they are at far greater risk of being bitten by rabid wildlife.  However,
they get the benefit of the doubt and get quarantined and observed because
they are known as DOMESTICATED animals.  We need to get the long overdue
recognition for our pets as domesticated.