From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 1996 08:26:22 -0400
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    chris & shelley knudsen <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ECE Question/Sleeping with ferrets
>Hi!  Just a quick question.  I know ECE is spread by contact.  My question
>is, how long does the conarvirus (sp?) stay alive on clothing and such?  I

Two hours may not be enough.  A lot depends on factors you have no control
over such as dessication, ultraviolet light, etc.  I would take the shower.

>From:    brooke nelson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: yellow poopies
>Hello all...got a question.  My four ferrets got their distemper vaccs
>(Fervac-D) today.  That was about 12 hrs ago.  One of them now has yellow
>poopies.  Could this be a delayed reaction to the vacc.?...

Probably stress but a delayed reaction to the vaccine is possible.  See Dick
Bossart s post in Subject: FERRET Digest - 15 Sep 1996 to 16 Sep 1996 [1692].

>From:    Carrie Mae Blake <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Kodiak's HAIR LOSS

If your vet has excluded the other common skin ailments (by skin scrapings,
etc) consider adrenal disease a good possibility.  Not all hair loss comes
in the classic presentation.  Other venues for pre-surgery diagnostics
include: 1.  adrenal panel from the University of Tennessee, 2.  dermal
punch biopsy of affected area.

>From:    David Caudill <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vet Q: Guardia?
>F.A.N.G.  recieved a call from a lady who is moving to California & needs to
>give up her two ferrets.  Now, since Kelleen's Fang Gang all have some icky

Giardia is a protozoal infection of the intestinal tract that can result in
diarrhea.  Giardia contaminated water is the usual mode of getting infected.
Treatment is either the antibiotic metronidazole or fenbendazole.
Fenbendazole in cats has shown to have a higher clearence rate than
metronidazole so I prefer it.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH