From:
Melissa Litwicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 1997 11:06:52 -0400
Someone posted a few days back (sorry, i was briefly on vacation, so i'm
behind on FMLs) about using dogs to find lost pets.

This WORKS.  Funny thing is, you don't even need to train the dog, often.
Seriously.  Whether it was chance, luck, divine intervention, or alien
abduction, two or three times when a cat of ours was lost one of our dogs
would help us find him.  The dog had been living with us and the cat for
years, so I suspect the dog knew the cat's name (he also knew 'treat,'
'biscuit,' 'walk,' and 't-r-e-a-t' and 'w-a-l-k' *grin*).  But I'd just put
the dog on his leash for a walk, wander outside, and say in a questioning
voice, "Where's Zephyr?  Zephyr?  Zephyr?" over a few times.  UNFAILINGLY,
the dog would tug me directly to where the cat was, whether it was buildings
or blocks away.  Several times the cat was trapped somewhere where he
couldn't get back out.  It was really neat.  The dog in question was a
miniature schnauzer.

So, the moral is, if you've got dogs, they're probably smarter than you
think.

Melissa

 ___ Melissa Litwicki __ [log in to unmask] ___
 By the whole newsgroup devoted tennis showing
     it after scarfing fork and laughters