From:
Don & Janice Boyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 08:13:34 -0600
Dear Everyone,
It's Christmas time.  Can you even imagine your little fuzzy having to
spend even one day or night lying on the bare, cold wire of a cage in some
animal shelter or pound?  I have been in many of those places and I have
never seen any of the animals have even a bit of rag for comfort.  I
understand the cleanliness issue, and the expense issue with them, but if
blankies were provided by folks like you and I, they would surely have no
objection to letting the little ferrets have them for a bit of warmth and
softness in the hard world they are in right now.

We do not have to go out and spend a lot of dollars to do this.  Right in
our own homes are old blankets that are not wanting to be used for people,
old stored baby blankets waiting for next year's garage sale, soft
sweatshirts that no one wears anymore, pieces of fake fur and other
fabrics large enough to just fit a little fuzzy ferret, and so on.  The
possibilities are endless.  Make sure the "blankies" do not contain foam in
any form (like the spongy blankets that are sold-they are the velvety feel
ones.  I had a ferret eat a hole out of one of them).  Make sure there are
no ties or strings or loops on them.  Just straight blankets or pads even.
The little ferrets need the softness, and a place to tuck under to hide
from the fierce noises and strangers.  Please offer to do this today at the
dog/cat humane shelters.  Be polite but persistent if met with resistance.
Try to get them to realize how important this one little gesture is to the
little ferrets.  You may want to find out their policy on adopting out
ferrets while you are there,(if you are ferret people that is), because
some pounds keep ferrets the required number of days (usually about 3) then
kill them just like they do dogs and cats.  Many people are not aware of
this.  Perhaps you could check around to people you know who have ferrets
(IF they are good, loving caregivers) and see if they would have room in
their homes for one little ferret who will otherwise be killed.  Anyway,
start finding those fleecy, fuzzy blankies and get them to those pounds!
It will make you feel very good.  It always feels better to give than to
get--Well, you probably have figured that out already, havn't you?

Jan and the 11 footwarmers at Gracie's Place.  Merry Christmas and God
bless you and your little ones and all the little ones whose lives you
touch this year and next.