From:
Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 11:25:26 -0000
MC, The Rude One wrote
>Ed, this time you have gone too far....
>you have crossed over the boundaries of taste and ethics.

Well said MC... I was horrified when I read Mr Lipinski's request.  I felt
sick and very angry...

>[Moderator's note: Obviously his request is controversial.  Personally,
>I question if Edward's background is appropriate to perform research such
>as this.  And the fact that it duplicates existing research.
>
>On the other hand, I do believe he -- as any FMLer -- has a "right" to
>ask (*politely*) for whatever ferret-related items they desire.  And I
>certainly am all for learning (I do work for a university after all!),
>and it is not my place to interfere with his request.  I believe that is
>between the owners of the deceased and Edward.  BIG]

I'm all for research when the ferret will benefit from the research.
Quite honestly I don't feel that Mr L's line of proposed *research*
will benefit ferrets at all...

BTW I am not squeamish about asking my vet to perform a postmortem on any
of my ferrets that have died - in fact, I have asked one of my vets to
carry out a PM, Deanna was still alive but both I and the vet just knew
that she wasn't going to make it.  When Richard called me later on that
day to break the news of her death he was also able to give me the cause
of death.  In one way it was a relief to know the cause because, lets face
it, you do have a guilt complex when a young pet dies, and at least I knew
that it wasn't something that I could have prevented.

A veterinary surgeon is qualified to carry out an examination on a dead
animal, and as far as I can see Mr L is not.

I seem to recall Bob C. advising him not to carry out his plans.  It's a
great pity he did not see fit to take the excellent advice.

--
Sheila