Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 2009 12:10:02 -0400
I usually train service dogs as an assistance animal for individuals
with disabilities. My husband and I have trained service dogs for over
10 years. I have a service dog named KC who is about to retire as a
signal dog, her sister Chara is next in line to take over. I was born
deaf and as a result I have needed a service animal to alert me to all
kinds of "important sounds". However, Chara has a speciality. Besides
being a signal dog or hearing dog, she is also trained as a seizure
responder and as an assistance. In the past, she has alerted several
individuals with underlying illnesses. She has predicted a stroke in
an elderly man, a form of arthritic condition in a woman's brain, a
seizure (myself from a reaction of medication), my husband's
progression of ms. However, both dogs always sense when an individual
needs a psychological boost.

Anyhow, lately one of the ferrets that is available for adoption here
at the RFRL has a knack of knowing when I'm not myself. I just had 2
surgeries approximately a month ago to correct some nerve damage that
was done from an injury at work, right after the surgery my husband
brought up LadyBug to see me. Usually she is a completely wild one and
squirms and wants to get down and run all over God's creation. However,
lately she just gives me her normal kisses and lays right in my arms
or lap. I have often thought about keeping her and turning her into a
therapy animal. Ferrets are not usually known as a service animal and
have a lot restrictions on being this particular service to the public.
However, the rules are starting to change for the better. My mother and
father -in laws use their parrots (Blue and Gold Macaw, Congo African
Grey, etc) as therapy animals in nursing homes, public schools and
other major events. Of course I hate to say not all animals make a
great service animal. It takes years of training and a special bond
between man and animal. I have trained several animals in the past that
would fly through training without a problem, then one day be thrown
off course. Marlene at RFRL has one of the dogs that I have trained and
failed as a service dog. The only issue I have found personally is the
fact that the public is still ignorant about service animals and their
duties to their handler. KC and I in the past have been thrown out of
public places. However, we stood up for our rights and these employees
have been fired from their jobs (police officers). Anyhow, it is
extremely important that individuals know the importance of these
animals and for the handlers to stand up for their rights if they are
violated.

Sincerely,
Kris Church LVT
Co-Director