From:
Megan Irvine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 09:48:00 -0500
My ferret, Bear, just underwent major surgery a couple weeks ago and is
recovering superbly.  Thanks so much for all of those who wrote to me in
support.  It was greatly appreciated and I was touched.  My vet had removed
2 lymph nodes, an adrenal gland, 2 bad teeth, a skin tumor, 2 hair balls,
and an insulinoma tumor from his pancreas.  Poor baby!!!

I initially brought him immediately into the vet when he began vomiting,
which, as most of you know, can be a very serious sign of blockage.  He had
a barium and x-rays done to target the problem and the 2 hair balls were
seen.  This then seemed to be the problem, but he was doing so poorly at
the vet that my vet wanted to go in and see what else might be the problem.
She didn't think that the size of the hair balls would have caused him as
much pain, lethargy and anguish that he seemed to be presenting.

I was all for it and waited patiently for him to get through it and was
able to help him recover as well and wake up.  He was extremely groggy
for a day and a half from the gas anesthesia and the basic trauma of
exploratory surgery, so we decided that he might feel better recovering
at home in a more comfortable and familiar environment.  He has done
wonderfully at recovering and is well enough to be rejoined in the same
hammock as his "alpha" friend, Jewel.  Unfortunately, the results of all
of the organ pieces came back and all was fine except for the pancreatic
tumor.  It appears to be a malignant tumor.  I'm not sure what the next
steps are, but for now he is taking Prednisone (which I stopped today
because his appetite is just fine and it's been 2 weeks that he's been on
it), Baytril (sp?), Dioxide (sp?), and Carafate.

They also gave me Brewer's Yeast to give him, but I thought that I had seen
in the FML that B.Y.  would lower the blood sugar level IF a ferret had
insulinoma.  I mentioned this to a vet and he said that that was the exact
opposite of the truth.  I haven't given him any of it yet and would love
to hear anyone's thoughts on it and where they got the information that it
was not good for a ferret with this type of cancer.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Megan, Jewel, Bear and Chewie the cat