From:
Tanya Birdsall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 15:18:57 -0400
One of my ferrets just had multiple tumors removed from his pancreas,
because he had insulinoma.  My vet removed about 40-50 percent of his
pancreas, because the tumors were so bad.  It's been about a week and a
half since he had the surgery, and he has a lot more energy, and is eating
on his own a lot more than he used to.  Anyway, about 3 days ago, he
started to have very loose stools.  They are tan in color, with a seedy
look, and they smell horrible.  When I took him into the vet yesterday, he
said that the stools to be that way after having part of the pancreas
removed was normal.  He explained that the pancreas is responsible for
digesting the food, and that my ferret was probably not digesting all of
his food.  He is planning on getting me some digestive enzymes to give to
my ferret.  My vet said that giving these to him will hopefully help.

So, what I am wondering is if anyone out there has had this kind of stool
with their ferret after pancreatic surgery, and what cleared it up, or if it
ever returned back to normal stool.  And since I have never experienced
insulinoma until now, I was wondering what the life expectancy rate usually
is (I've been told 1-2 years).  And, if there is anything else you think
would help me help him better, or help me get more educated about insulinoma
recovery, please let me know.

Thanks