From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 14:49:45 +0100
Hi all,

Melissa A. Durfee seemed confused about ferret races, don't you have them
outside the UK?

In the UK ferrets have been domesticated for longer than dogs and cats.
Their natural inclination to explore underground tunnels and abiltiy to
scare rabbits has been exploited (in the nicest possible way) to flush
rabbits out ob their burrows to be caught for the pot (I don't approve of
this personally as I am a vegetarian, but I can see other people's point of
view as the bunnys are sooo plentiful as to be a pest to farmers in most
areas and I guess it is better to kill to eat than to waste the bodies :~o)

The exploring ability is used at country fairs etc. when 3 or 4 ferrets are
introduced to parallel tunnels made of 100mm diameter plastic drainpipe and
bendy hose.  These have a "trap" at one end with a pull cord so all can be
released simultaneously and a simple pressure pad switch at the other end
that lights a low voltage bulb for the first out at the other end.  The
tubes have a variety of turns, bends, steps, slopes, windows and
interesting places to explore in a distance of around 16metres and the
first ferret to exit to it's owner's waiting arms (incidentally lighting
the light) is the winner.  Owners can call the ferets, and occasionally
they respond by coming quicker but you know how obedient they can be don't
you?

The races are sometimes for rosettes for the ferret (Ususally Hobs & Jills
separately in heats and then a championship final!) and sometimes so the
crowd can place "bets" (you buy one or more numbered raffle tickets at 10
or 20pence a time, in the color of the trap where your favoured ferret
start, and trade your ticket(s) back for double the money if he/she wins.
This is usually for charity fundraising often for shelters and the ferrets
seem to love it as it is rather like dryer hose play.  No big bets are
alowed so it is more "fun" than "serious" and there are usually enough
ferts so they don't get tired.

Hope this explains satisfactorily, its not so strange after all!  Please
don't flame me its not real exploitation.

Love Jacqui Duff-Turner