From:
Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 00:08:43 -0500
>From:    Sandi Ackerman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: 3-4 week old ferret babies

>A ferret breeder (or so he said) was also here when the ferret I reported
>about was brought in and he thought the baby was "under 4 weeks".  Her
>ears were not fully extended but her eyes appeared to be almost fully
>open.  I thought the gunk in her eyes was because she was ill and I've no
>idea if she could hear or not.

Babies that are under 4 weeks are tiny and can fit in the palm of your
hand.  How big is she?  Is her belly shaved from spaying?  If she is that
young she will not be able to hear yet - ears usually open up - IME - at
about 5-6 weeks.  You can tell when they do as the kits you have been
yammering away at since birth suddenly seem freaked out at first when you
make the high pitched baby talk.  They give you this adorable wide eyed,
mouth open slightly, "Oh my God!" look.  It is so cute!

If she has gunk (yellow?) in her eyes it may be conjunctivitis.  If her
eyes are "almost" fully open then watch for them sealing back up.  She
needs to have some eye meds to clear it up.  Clean her eyes with a warm,
wet wash cloth to keep them clear.  Eye infections - esp in young kits -
are nothing to mess around with.  It can lead to blindness.

>By the way, these are not MF nor PV ferrets.

Any idea where they came from?

Amy Flemming
Flemming Farms/Weasel Watchers Ferret Rescue - Michigan, USA
Breeding for Quality Ferrets/Helping Needy Weasels
American, Australian, German, and New Zealand bloodlines
Come see us at http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/9521

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism"