From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 19:47:44 -0800
I will share the good news first...

1) I was able to get all the flyers for the ferret symposium up at all
the petstores in my area and my vet's office.  I will attempt to get them
distributed to the other vets I am familiar with very soon.

2) I spoke at great length with one of the Petco managers today and found
out more about their experiences with MF ferrets.  I told this manager
what I am trying to accomplish and there is a chance that this manager
might participate in it but does not want names included due to the fact
that this manager is scared of losing their position.

3) I educated some of the employees who have been there a long time about
ferrets.

4) I was able to get through to Peter Reid's (head of MF), assistant today
and after speaking with her at length, she promised me that Peter would
call me tomorrow.  I wont hold my breath.

The bad news:
1) I found out that a girl I had met once, had both of her MF ferrets die
recently from unknown causes.  Apparently the vet bills were huge and they
never could determine what the cause of death was.  Both were very young
ferrets (under two years).  I am going to speak with her tomorrow to find
out more details.  I spoke with her aunt who told me that they are very
devastated and not ready for any more ferrets.

2) I went into a Petco in my area that has never carried ferrets before.
They had a black sable and a panda that are six months old (another store
could not sell them, so they were transferred).  Both are MF and the panda
is deaf.  The good part of it is that they are being very cautious about
who adopts them and they are asking some really good questions.  Both
ferrets must be sold together and are in a huge cage with four levels and
lots of toys.  These ferrets are very well taken care of.  Petco is going
to sell them at 40% off, including cage.  They want to make sure that the
ferrets go to a very good home that knows how to deal with a deaf ferret.
I commended them for this.  The manager was thankful and I told her to
send the Ferrets 2002 Annual home with whoever takes them in.  She asked
me about my background and how come I cannot take them.  I told her about
my background with ferrets and showed her the article I wrote about
proofing.  She was so happy and asked me to help find these two a home
(and if I could help "screen" potential adopters).  The bad news is that I
found out that this same Petco is opening in a larger location in the mall
and will then start carrying ferrets on a regular basis!  I practically
tore my hair out on this one.  Both are average size MF ferrets, didn't
nip and seemed sweet.  I promised to help, so I am, but I would much
rather see people adopt shelter ferrets.  I am worried that these ferrets
are going to be sent back to MF and destroyed.  They are six months old
already, and most of the people who come in want kits.