From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 1995 23:03:44 -0500
We've had our first allergic reaction to the new Galaxy Distemper vaccine.
 We had been using Fromm D successfully for nearly 2 years, having given well
over 100 vaccinations.  We've given maybe (I have to look at the records)
20-30 vaccinations with Galaxy.  Tonight we were giving shots to some we're
taking to the AFA Expo, and one had a severe reaction.  Not, what I consider
the more typical shocky reaction where they turn pale and have severe diahrea
and throwing up.  This reaction was a turning bright red, swelling, and
difficulty breathing.  We immediately administered about 1 ml of childrens
benedryl and rushed him to the vet.  Longest trip I've made since two hours
previously when I rushed another to the vet for a different emergency; and
yesterday it was an intestional blockage in one we just picked up for the
shelter.  Sure glad we have a ferret knowlegable vet around here.

Anyway, all seem to be doing better.  I realize that the numbers involved
here on the Galaxy are just too small to be meaningful.  And I sure don't
intend to frighten anyone or say that the Galaxy is "not good".  Just watch
out for reactions in any vaccine.  Stick around the vet's office for a while
after the vaccination is administered just to make sure.  And this may be a
 good place to exchange experiences on allergic reactions to vaccinations to
see if there might be problems.

Dick B.