From:
Kelleen and the FANG Gang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 1996 03:26:14 -0600
Hi,

Sorry if you got the impresion what you wrote "struck a nerve in me" because
it didn't.  I felt it important to state the views of someone who does have
free ranging ferrets and the advantages that can include.  Also the fact
that you can do this safely.

I also said if you are not willing to do all that is required do not let
them free range.  If you have to work I see your point but I am disabled and
also have sleep disorders so I am home with the shelter all day and night
except for errands and picking up rescues etc... I sleep very odd hours and
often don't sleep at all for many days.  I also have my Mom that comes over
a lot when I am alsepp and she checks on the ferrets and the home without
ever waking me.  She is some lady let me tell you:-)

You seemed to come across as tho you felt free ranging ferrets were never
safe and I wanted to say that is not true.  I very much love all my kids and
if I had to cage them up they would be very unhappy.  I know because I did
cage my guys in the beginning and I can very clearly see a big difference
now.

In no way do I see free ranging as an option for everyone but I do believe
it can be done quite safely and the ferrets are very happy.  I cannot afford
all the cages I would need to cage mine.  Many do not like each other too
much and choose to not be around each other a lot.  One of my old guys does
NOT like any shelter kids that come thru so I have to already partition my
house into two parts for safety and to stop the terrible fights that can
occur.  My 3 newest rescues have spent their entire lives in a way too tiny
cage, no way in heck I am caging them after that.  I can see the thrilled
look they now have at all the freedom allowed here and in the home where one
of the 3 has already been placed.  He too has 100% freedom.  I know all the
hidey holes and believe me I can hit them all in 5 min.  tops.  My kids come
to a squeeky toy too and there is always one at hand.

My kids all choose different hours to be up or sleep.  They come and go as
they please without any restrictions.  That leads to less skirmishes and
less stress for my crew.  I would never wish to force them together in a
cage when they don't want to be and it is very impossible for me to have 18
or more cages right?  I also have noticed if they free range they are more
accepting of new ferets coming in, except for the old man.  He is the only
exception here and I am having him checked out for adrenal and other
problems very soon.  It may very well be totally medical in the reason he is
the way he is right now.  We'll see.

If it came to a fire by God you can bet I am the last that will be leaving.
I will die before a single fert is left inside.  If any ferts do die they
will die with their mommy as I will be leaving with them.  Again I have to
say I firmly believe in quality of life and not quantity.  I live every day
in severe pain from 8 car wrecks along with very severe clinical depression,
ADD and multiple other health problems so I KNOW that quality of life is far
more important than quantity.  No one can tell me otherwise because I live
that daily.  Without medications and other things like my shelter that make
my life bearable I would not be here.  I would choose to have no life if I
did not have some quality of life.

I did not feel attacked or threatened or whatever.  I just simply wanted to
state my point of view as a person who chooses to have free ranging ferrets.
Sorry if you felt I attacked you and others who do cage their ferrets in any
way.  That was never my intention.  I only wanted to speak out for the side
you seemed to speak against.  Now everyone knows both sides and they can
make an informed choice.  TNT!!

*      Kelleen Andrews  &  Her FANG GANG!!!!          *
*  President and Founder of F.A.N.G. Shelter/Club     *
*      (Ferret Association of Neverending Glee)       *
*      405 S. Orchard   Boise, Idaho  83705           *
*      208-342-7292                                   *
*   I'll take a good animal over a good mate anyday!  *
*   All they want is lots of love and great chow.     *