Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 23:36:44 EDT
I am trying to gather data on the effects of feeding a more "natural" diet
(i.e. Bob Church's Chicken Gravy) to ferrets with endocrine disorders.
Several subscribers, myself included, have noted distinct improvements in
our ferrets with the addition of the Gravy to their treatment.  I would
like to gather data, both pro and con, on this.  My own Vet, Dr. Klein, & a
couple of other Vets in El Paso, will be participating.  I know of a couple
Vets in Illinois, and NC, too, who are interested in the results.

If you have a ferret with insulinoma, or any other endocrine disorder where
your Vet feels that a modification to the diet may be beneficial, and you
and your Vet would be interested in participating in this study, please let
me know.  This will not require any more work from your Vet than s/he would
already be doing in the course of treatment.  The information I will be
looking for includes the age, weight, blood glucose, and general
activity/appetite levels at the time of diagnosis, whether surgery was
chosen or not, and medications prescribed.  I will need followup on the
ferret's "vitals" - weight, blood glucose, activity/appetite, and whether
the meds can be modified - as they appear at follow-up vet visits, and a
general overview of the necropsy, if/when applicable.

Owners just need to be willing to make and feed the Gravy to their ferrets
on a regular basis, and to record the results on the Survey Worksheet as
they and their Vets obtain them.

There is currently no cut-off date for this survey - I imagine it could
run for quite a while.  I will begin to tabulate results as they come in,
and will make them available regularly to Veterinarians and Owners.  All
personal information on the owners will be kept strictly confidential
without written permission from the individual.

If you would like a copy of the Survey Worksheet, please email me.  If
there is enough interest, I will also post it to the FML, and/or make it
available on my web site.

Carla Smith  <><
WhyNot? Ferrets
http://www.whynotferrets.com
ICQ:  29478475
member, Rio Grande Domestic Ferret Club, El Paso, TX
"Every pet deserves to be loved, and to have someone cry over them when
 they're gone."