From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 1995 02:49:58 -0700
To Mark Brgr:

>I have a 2 year old spayed female, a bit over two pounds, who has developed
>a swollen vulva (size of medium pea) over the last three weeks.  No other
>noticeable changes.  My vet...  advises to wait two months, then do an
ultrasound to assess

        I hear a lot about the wait and see approach.  However, swollen
vulvas in a spayed female are a definite sign of disease, usually adrenal.
While 2 years is under the average, it certainly would not be unusual to see
adrenal disease in an animal of this age.  I'm not a fan of waiting and
seeing.  This is not a case of marginal hair loss but a definite sign of
disease.  All that waiting can do is make an adrenal disease larger (which
can be a real problem if it turns out to be a malignant tumor).  Probably a
far better idea to explore the abdomen now....

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP
Dept. of Vet Path, AFIP
[log in to unmask]  OR
Chief Pathologist, AccuPath