Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 09:04:24 -0400
>From: "Mary R. Shefferman" <[log in to unmask]>
>He said that it is far better to chance a possible adverse reaction than
>to have to live with the knowledge that you could have prevented the
>illness.

#Just keep in mind the possibility of long term damage from the vaccine
too.  An immediate reaction to the vaccine may be the least of the
problems.  That needs to be kept in mind when making the decision on
vaccinating.  That may not be what people want to hear, but I believe
that people should be aware of everything that could happen, not just
what people want to hear (or only what people think you should hear),
an informed decision is the best decision and maybe people should be made
to think and research.  Let's be honest when we say things and give the
whole truth, not part of it.  If someone wants to say annual vaccinations
for ferrets are necessary because their is no studies in ferrets to say
otherwise, make sure to mention that their is also no studies in ferrets
that say they are necessary either.

I was finally able to find the JAVMA study Dr.Kemmerer had mentioned, it
was from 1998, so it was not recent and the JAVMA archives only go back
2 years unless you are a member.  I will be sending a post on that later
on or in the next day or so, I am doing some research on titers and
trying to make an easy to understand post.  Let me just say that while
the 98 study does conclude that annual vacs may be necessary their
criteria for determining that leaves something to be desired.  I will
not post the whole study and their is no link to it, but I will send it
to anyone who wants it along with the 2000 one.  People can then make up
their own minds on them.  I try and practice what I preach and give all
sides if possible.

   ~Amy~