Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2006 05:28:07 -0400
hello Marla,

I'm very sorry to hear about Pepper.  I hope your happy memories together
will keep you smiling while she is dancing at the bridge.

I'm guessing what Pepper had is something called immune mediated anemia.
its something that I had struggled through with one of my ferrets, and
we had some success with Sand, so I just want to point that out to the
group, in case anyone suffer through it again.  for your peace of mind,
here are some posts from the well respected vets of of the FHL.  Dr
Williams in particular said that it is a disease "that carries the
poorest prognosis".

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG4591 (2001 - Dr Williams)
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG7143 (2003 - Dr Murray)

this is Sand's story while we were working with a vet who was willing to
try anything, during the course of treatment.  our vet discuss letting
him go with us not once but twice.  the only reason we opt for treatment
was because of Sand's easy going, nothing much wrong, I'll just sleep a
little more attitude.  he was wobbly, but happy.  anyways, this is what
I posted to the FHL in 2004.

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG7960  (2004)

during Sand's treatment, my friend's ferret also became very lethargic,
with a PCV of 7%.  we tried to go with a similar treatment, but she
passed away during anaesthesia.  she was obviously not feeling well,
unlike Sand, who really didn't seem to notice even at his worst.

once again, I just want to extend my sympathies to you on making a very
hard and selfless decision.  I hope no other ferret owner will have to
make the same choice.

Selina, Clef, Popcorn, Sorin & Mochi