From:
"Steve & Sukie Crandall" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 1988 14:05:09 -0400
Wow - a baby weasel - we wish you all the luck! We understand that very little
is known on weasels. One of the world's experts is Dr. Mikael Sandell
currently at University of Lund in Sweden (soon he will be moving to the
Dept of Wildlife Ecology Swedish University of Agricultural Science, Umea,
Sweden) -- you may try dropping him a letter.

[We'll try that if we keep him much longer - we have found some info
sources which aren't particularly helpful.  The thing seems perfectly healthy,
so "normal rectal temperature" tables aren't of much use.
The animal rescue people have never handled one before (they mostly
do rabbits, squirrels and raccons), and are suggesting that we foster it.

One person we did contact raised one before, but suggests that because of
our experience with ferrets, we probably know more than she does....  Sigh...

Ministry of Natural Resources seems only to have info on extermination,
but we're checking further.

Considering the fun we had last night changing its cage, (it can jump at
least 2 feet vertically, and go under our doors.....), I'm not sure we're
going to be able to keep it much longer...  Gawd he's fast!  We're now
afraid to open the cage.

It may turn out that it's releasable almost immediately - it seems more
"competent" than we thought.  Will have to experiment a little.  If he's
old enough we'd like to release him asap - he'll have the least chance
of picking up bad habits that way and best chance of survival.  It appears
that his family was in a nearby school yard, which is probably *not*
a good place to release him.  We'll have to find somewhere as far as
possible from any farms or kids with rocks...

By the way, for convenience, we've provisinally declared it a "him", named
"popcan".  Subject to further revision... ("No, I'm not going to pick
it up and look, you try it", "Are you kidding?  You try it!".  ...)
Further, after more peering at animal encyclopedias, we've come to
the conclusion it *might* be an ermine instead of a Least Weasel - the
diagnostic black tail tip is faintly there.  This means of course, that
as an adult it'll be bigger that we originally thought.  (oh no!)

Ps: Doesn't seem to be litter trainable....  ]

In case you haven't heard the black footed ferret population is booming! In
the last three weeks *33* new kits have survived and one female is still to
give birth!

[That's really good to hear.  What's the total population?]

Our three carpet sharks are doing very well - the two females are now involved
in a dominance dispute and both are trying to get as fat as Hjalmar - our
very fat male.

Steve & Sukie Crandall