From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 16 May 1994 14:32:42 -0400
To Pam Greene -

>I remember reading about orange-specked spots on ferrets' skin a couple of
>times, but I don't recall what the diagnosis was, or what cure was suggested.
>Rusty's got a thin spot in the hair on his abdomen (he still hasn't shed his
>winter coat), and a small (dime-sized) patch of skin with little orange
>speckles showing through.  Anybody have any ideas or sugestions?

  Orange dots on the skin most likely represent some form of superficial
dermatitis, which could be related to bacteria or yeast infection.  I have
rarely seen distemper present as an orange dot disease, but I'm sure your
ferrets are vaccinated...

        A mild cleansing once weekly with a bactericidal shampoo (check your
vet's stock) should help.  Should the problem worsen, then a skin biopsy is
probably in order.  Antibiotics may or may not help in such cases, but can't
hurt.

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 576-2453/2454                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000