From:
"Deborah W. Kemmerer, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 20:10:57 -0500
In medicine, any cancer that has a frequency of more than 1 in 10,000 is a
cause for concern.  Since more than half the ferrets I've seen are already
descented, that leaves an incidence of three anal sac cancers in about 4,000
ferrets.  That IS significant.  If that were a group of humans, you'd have a
bunch of epidemiologists trying to figure out what the common element is.
If I scared a few people into thinking about the issue, then so much the
better.  I fail to see that as a bad thing.

I believe you may be in error (although you certainly are not alone) in
blaming early spay/neuter for adrenal problems.  Pounds and shelters have
been doing this in puppies and kittens for nearly fifteen years.  A recent
and very comprehensive study of several thousand animals ten years post-op
showed no greater incidence of any problems in these animals than in ones
neutered later.  Ferrets are not physiologically that different from dogs
and cats that early spay/neuter should effect them so radically differently.
I believe the fact that we tend to keep our ferrets in incandescent lighting
rather than natural sunlight or fluourescent light may be an important
factor.  We know photoperiod has an effect on the entire endocrine system.
I think it's worth investigating.

I know of no actual data showing that British ferrets live any longer than
American ones.  Upon what information are you basing that statement?