From:
Kurt Springs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 20:21:38 -0500
When I got my first two, Mhaire and Kian, I had had them for a few months
when I decided to change their food on them.  I had been giving the
Science Diet and Iams Kitten foods at the time.  (This is pre Totally
Ferret in 1993.)  I found the L&M Ferret food in a local pet store, and
thought that it had to be better for them.  (It turns out it was relabeled
Mink Food.)  I started off by mixing it in with their old food, thinking
that they would eventually try it and like it.  Well, they became very
good at picking around it and leaving just the L&M food.  Then I made my
big mistake.  I totally replaced there old food with the L&Ms, thinking
that when they got hungry enough, they would eat it.  Ha!

I went away that morning and returned to the aftermath of what must have
been a riot.  All the food bowls were dumped over, the books on every book
case they could reach (and a few they couldn't) was on the floor, and
every corner that did not have a litter box had a little present in it.
(Keep in mind, they had a big play area and this was only two ferrets.)
I was standing at the door of my bedroom with my mouth hanging open, when
Mheire came up the stairs and stared at me.  I looked at her and said,
"You're trying to tell me you don't like the new ferret food, right?"
Her head bobbed once, she turned around and went back down stares.

The protest had achieved it's aims.