From:
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 12:49:57 -0400
Harley and I have an appointment to see Dr. Taylor at the U of Guelph small
Animal teaching hospital on Wednesday.  Harley had another episode last
night where his good eye swelled and drained lime green pus.

I was told we may have to face the fact that Harley *may* loose his other
eye.  Now, before anyone flames me for thinking of this with him, I'm
suffering enough with the thought of this decision.  When I spoke to
Harley's vet today (Dr. Parker) through tears I asked her if it was
ethical to do this to an already deaf ferret.

She explained to me that Harley will not allow anything to stop him and
that he's the hardest fighter she's ever seen.  She told me it was anything
but unethical and in fact, euthanising him because of his eye in her
opinion was unethical.  She told me that after seeing him for the 1st time,
she fell in love with him and was bitten by the bug that the rest of us who
love him have.  She said that as long as he wanted to fight and survive, I
should allow him.  As long as he wasn't suffering, I should fight for and
along side with him.

Last year, we thought Harley was going to loose his eye and I received tons
of letters telling me to "put him down".  I can't tell you all how much
that hurt me.  I hope you will all stand by us if he does loose his eye.
I just have to give him the chance.  Harley is my special little soldier
who inspires me in everything I do.  Please keep him in your thoughts and
prayers.

The Ferret Aid Society "For the love of our fuzzy friends"
http://www.ferretaid.org

http://www.igive.com/html/ssi.cfm?cid=1383&mid=43897
Use your mouse to raise funds for the shelter by clicking here.