From:
"C.B. Goins" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 22:49:46 -0500
Dear FMLers,

Today, we carried out a terrific rescue.  The sheriff's office in our
county made a bust on a meth lab in a motel room.  In the process, a
wonderful man by the name of Sergeant Jim Dixon discovered a ferret in
the room.  Sergeant Dixon brought the fuzzie back to his office and
having no prior experience with ferrets, got on the 'net to find out
what to do to care for him.  He was able to obtain information that
allowed him to care for the "unknown critter" in the short term.  He
began calling all the animal shelters in the area, but to no avail.
Fortuantely, one of the shelters gave him the phone number of Vikki
Mick, whom we all know as a saint in the world of ferrets.  Sergeant
Dixon was determined that this little guy would be treated well, and
because of his persistence and determination, all ended well.

Vikki, being miles away, couldn't do anything immediately, so she got in
touch with me, and I went to get "Sweetie".  Tomorrow, the little guy
will be transferred to the loving and caring arms of Vikki and Larry,
who will see that he has all the love and affection that could be offered
by anyone in this universe.

I am humbled and honored to play a minor part in this rescue.  If it
weren't for the compassion of a seasoned law enforcement officer, this
could have never been.  Sergeant Dixon, you are a hero!  Let us all take
a moment to reflect on the brave men and women in public service who not
only lay their lives on the line for us, but for all creatures great and
small.

C.B. and Loki

Here's the "official" letter that went to the sheriff -- I thought I'd
share it with all of you:

October 14, 2003

Sheriff Randy Johnson
Pulaski County Sheriff's Office
2900 South Woodrow Street
Little Rock, Arkansas 72204

Dear Sheriff Johnson:

I am writing concerning the humanitarian actions of Sergeant Jim B.
Dixon in the Investigations Division.

Today, while making an arrest, Sergeant Dixon recovered a ferret which
was being kept by the suspect.  Sergeant Dixon went above and beyond the
call of duty to see that this innocent creature was given care and food
until he could find a place where he could be sure the ferret was placed
in good hands.  Knowing the demands placed on our law enforcement
officers, the easiest thing to do would have been to call Animal Control
and send this helpless little guy to a sure euthanasia.  Sergeant Dixon
would have none of this.  Instead, he persisted until he found someone
who could guarantee the ferret would be placed in a good home and be well
cared for.  I can assure you that his efforts paid off, as the ferret has
already been placed in a good and loving home and will receive the best
of care by a family who has many years of experience.

In my humble opinion, Sergeant Dixon is not only a good law enforcement
officer, but a genuinely good man as well.  His actions of kindness and
concern speak volumes not only for himself, but for the Pulaski County
Sheriff's Office .  It was my pleasure to meet and visit with him, and
I can tell you that he is an ambassador for all the brave men and women
in law enforcement.

I'll sleep better tonight knowing that Sergeant Dixon is out there.  Not
only is he concerned about the welfare of his fellow humans, he is a true
humanitarian who will take the time and effort to guarantee the safety of
a helpless creature.  Please give Sergeant Dixon a pat on the back and a
big handshake; for in a way he probably considers minor, he is a hero.
Please let him know that because of his extraordinary efforts, "Sweetie"
sleeps tonight in the arms of love.

Sincerely,

C.B. Goins
Vice President, Project Development