From:
Joe Horrigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 May 2000 00:33:19 -0400
I have not followed the whole thread on nose thumping, but having bought,
owned and/or adopted 6 ferrets (three of which were biters, one severe) let
me tell you how I broke all of them of the habit in no more than two days,
without thumping or scruffing (bitter apple also did not work on my fist
biter at all).

What I would do is allow (not stop) the fert to bite me (some times drawing
blood).  I would grab the lower jaw with two fingers from the other hand,
Yell no, and use my fingers pushing the skin to the side of the mouth, to
force it open to retrieve my bitten finger/skin.  I would then hold the
head/mouth by the lower jaw, supporting the fert under the arms, and not
let the fert wiggle away, until he/she 'gave in', (stopped fighting,
usually less than a minute).  Then I would kiss the fert, and talk nice,
offer some ferratone to stimulate licking, first on the bottle cap then
on my finger/hand and eventually face.

This technique worked in two attempts on one fert (a new kit), another took
two days ( a 4 month old kit whoes owner gave up trying to stop her from
biting).

Ferts apparently don't like their heads held still.  It does not require
any squeezing or pressure, if you get your fingers behind the lower jaw
bone.  They try to backout, but can't because you basically made a 'hole'
too small to fit though.  I usually have their face nose to nose with mine,
and thats when they give up.

Usually when I pickup a fert, I usually get at least a quick lick.

I can put my hand in the middle of a fert tag team wrestling match, with
biting and chirping going on, roll and wrestle with them, they will hug my
hand and kiss it in the middle of the fight.

Most of my friends are amazed that my ferts come when called by name.
Using ferretone as a reward, and much patience, I have trained each one
to come when I call their name or jingle keys (regardless of what they
are doing).

One will come running when I ask who wants a bath!

Two will roll over for treats, and they all come running when I ask who
wants chicken!.

I don't mean to condem anyones attempts to train their ferts, just give you
another method to try that may be effective for you.

luvin the babies Fillup, Cocoa, Jill and Jose
Joe