From:
Joanie Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 16:10:22 -0700
Bill, you asked what we thought about Cedric losing weight.  If this were
the beginning of summer, I would say it could be normal, but we are going
into winter, and he should be gaining.  Also, you have the abnormal stools -
a classic sign that something is not right.  Just because your ferret is
still active, that does not prove that he is well; ferrets are notorious for
being long-suffering, and it is easy for the inexperienced eye to miss
subtle signs of illness.  For instance, ferrets with adrenal disease, and
jills in prolonged estrus may still scamper around and play seemingly in
normal fashion for quite a long time though they are actually suffering from
potentially life-threatening disorders.  Your guy could possibly have
ulcers, an intestinal inflammation, a partial blockage or some other problem
and still be running around.  If I were you I would find a veterinarian who
is experienced with treating ferrets and get Cedric to him ASAP.  I hope
someone in your area will advise you of one - but if not, you could look in
your phone book just start calling vets to try to find one who knows
ferrets.  Good luck -

Joanie Williams