Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 08:54:52 -0700
Veronica Jennings <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I have seen mention of melatonin and Lupron as the 2 best options.
>Lupron being the most expensive yet very effective and meletonin also
>being very effective and less costly, just more involved giving every
>day rather than the Lupron once a month.

If the ferret is healthy, then surgery is the best option.  It is the
only thing that can STOP the disease, if the affected glands can be
wholly removed.  Many ferrets make it through this surgery well and live
many happy years.  Lupron is the next best option, in conjuction with
surgery (if all the effected glands cannot be removed or if symptoms
recur after surgery) or in place of it if surgery is not an option.  It
can help control the symptoms such as hair loss and prostate swelling,
but it will not CURE the disease.  Melatonin...well, I'm not sure how I
feel about it just yet but there is an article by Dr Murray here for you
to peruse:

http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/melatonin.htm

Star

=====
In the best of times, I hold in my mind the need to care for things
beyond the self: poetry, humanity, grace.  In other times, when it seems
difficult merely to survive and be happy about it, the condition of my
thought tastes as simple as this: let me be a good animal today.
-Barbara Kingsolver, "High Tide in Tucson"
~*~*~
http://foxfoot.tripod.com/