From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 16:30:08 -0500
I have been to many sites that have lists of ferret friendly/knowledgable
vets.  However, they seem to simply list any vet that treats ferrets.
What I am looking for is a list that includes reasons why I should choose
one vet over another.

When I moved to CA about 2 years ago, I smuggled my Fidgit into the state.
Fidgit had an adrenal tumor the year before and had successful surgery.
She was in relatively good health after a bout w/ ECE.  Anyway, I used
the lists and found a local vet in Northridge.  Great guy, really listened
to me, really liked Fidgie, however, he screwed up twice.  As a result,
Fidgit died from surgical complications.  I was assured by several ppl
that he was one of the best small animal surgeons around, but he didn't
know diddly about anesthsia and ferrets.

So my point, I'm looking for a list of *recommendations*, not just a list
of availbles.

So to start, I'd recommend Dr. Todd Friedland in N. Windham, CT. He's
absolutely fabulous.  Not only will he talk to you about latest trends
and findings, he'll go the extra mile and contact you by phone or email to
keep you updated.  Dr. Friedland was successful with my first experience
with adrenal tumors, surgery and options.  He ignored all the 'then'
literature concerning the non-existence of ECE, and came up with a
treatment program for Fidgit.  He was a godsend when we discovered, too
late, that my butterscotch girl, Pippin, had lymphosarcoma, very
sympathetic.

Payment plans and options were reasonable and he has never refused, to my
knowledge, a critical case b/c of money.

Anyway, if anyone would like to rec a vet in the greater Los Angeles area,
that would be awesome.  I have a vet now that I like, but will be moving
and she will be too far away for emergencies.

Thanks in advance,
christy, the fuzzbots - spike & buffy, the kitties - exley & max