From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 1994 17:34:45 -0400
I've been finding the discussion about people's ferrets that have died very
moving. I was epecially touched by Linda Boulis' beautiful poem. And my heart
goes out to Peter & Graziella on the tragic loss of little Fredi. Ferrets are
very special little beings. I am sure that everyone's ferrets who died greatly
appreciate all of the love that they received while they were here.

*** A couple of issues ago, someone mentioned heartworm in ferrets. Can they
actually get heartworm?? Do they need to be tested for it? ***

Re: using bitter apple on a ferret to keep another one from biting. Well,
Cinderella still doesn't like Norman. I would be willing to try bitter apple,
but wouldn't that be upsetting to Cinderella to find herself covered with this
awful smelling stuff? Also, what would happen if she tried to clean herself? Is
it safe?

Norman was abused when he was young (in a pet store) so he is quite a biter. I
don't know if he is actually biting Cinderella (I know he bites me!), or if she
just doesn't like him, period. She really shrieks when he jumps on top of her.
Does anyone have helpful advice for working with an abused ferret? He is quite
playful but seems to think that biting is part of normal interaction (with me).
I think some of it is from being abused, and some of it is from not having been
socialized.

Re: pet stores. I personally would be happy to see a ban on the selling of
cats, dogs, ferrets and other animals from pet stores. There are too many
people out there who buy on impulse or who should not have a pet, and most
stores will sell to anyone who can pay for an animal. Ferrets in particular are
just not for everyone.

Although I am disappointed to hear that Fund for Animals is working against
legalization (is this actually true?), I understand their concerns and think
that something could be worked out with them. I think it would be very helpful
for a ferret person from NY to sit down with someone from the Fund and discuss
the situation with them. Perhaps the compromise would be that ferrets could not
be sold in pet stores. I really think it's important to work together with
other animal groups since we all care about what happens to animals.

On a lighter note.  This weekend I went to a delightful workshop with
Penelope Smith on communicating with animals.  In one exercise, we used
guided imagery to connect with a particular animal.  When I tuned into
Cinderella, I felt I was riding on a white horse, carrying a banner and
yelling "Charge!" and then singing the theme song from Man of La Mancha ("I
am I, Don Quixote...").  This is certainly how Cinderella looks at life--as
an adventure to be lived to the fullest!

P.S.  Chris--Are we supposed to be putting return marks at the end of each
line?  Can you please clarify, thanks!

[Not knowing quite what is meant by "return marks", I'm not sure.  However,
your article above was perfect, so if that's what you meant by "return marks",
please keep it up! ;-)]

--Cinderella & Norman's mom in Massachusetts