From:
Caitlyn Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 14:34:01 -0500
Hi, June, and everyone else,

>I asked for a shot of dex.  The Docs I worked for debated the issue,
>worrying about GI ulcers, and maybe they are right, but i wanted him
>to be compfortable NOW.  6 hours after the shot there was a remarkable
>improvement, able to go the the bathroom without laying in it.

Before I reply I've really got to say that I am not a vet.  I just happen
to have a ferret who receives two doses of dexamethasone daily, so I can
speak from some experience.

I understand the concern about ulcers, but it seems to me that your seven
year old is already suffering from a terminal disease.  I agree with your
instinct: give him the best possible quality of life for as long as that
is possible.  I think in your place I would insist on continuing the dex.
He feels better *now*, and really, in his situation and at his age, that
is what matters.

Pertwee, my 2.5 year old albino male, simply does not respond to
prednisone.  He has to have *something*, since he's had both adrenal
glands out.  He has been on dexamethasone (in addition to flourinef) for
over six months with very good results.  Interestingly enough, he had a
history of GI problems, and they seem to have disappeared, so while ulcers
may be a possible side effect, they are in no way a sure thing.

FWIW, Pertwee started with injections every second day, and we eventually
moved to an oral dosage which was easier for us to administer.  That might
be something you may want to consider if your guy is going to be around
for a while, which I certainly hope is what happens.

Good luck!

All the best,
Caity and the exuberant eight

--