From:
Donna Micari <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 10:38:38 -0400
I don't get the opportunity to read the FML on the weekends since I only
have internet access in my office, but when I came back on Monday, I was
overwhelmed by the response I received from my recent posting asking for
advice on how to keep ferrets cool in the summer.  Thanks to all who offered
their helpful advice.

Of course I would love to have an air conditioner in the ferret-room
(formerly known as the living room), but because of where I live -- a small
apartment in my landlord's house -- that is not an option.  Putting them in
the basement while we're at work is also a good idea, but because of the
above-mentioned reason is also not an option.

What I have done is soak a towel every morning before work and leave it over
the ferrets cage every day.  After work when it's cooler is when they come
out to play, and then I remove the towel and let them out of their cage.  I
also have a rotation of a few plastic soda bottles that are filled with
water, frozen, and tied in socks.  They sleep with these in their cage.  I
also have been filling their water bottle with 80 percent water, 20 percent
Pedialyte to prevent dehydration.

Now I have another question: How do others give their pets Ferretone?  What
I do is mix it with a little olive oil and pour this in a baby bottle.
Then I put the bottle in the fridge, since the ferrets seem to enjoy cold
beverages.  It is very cute to watch them drink from the bottle!

Donna, Evan, Jethro, and EllieMae