From:
Amy Robbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 10:18:05 -0500
This morning I had a glimpse of how I would handle my old guy, Moose,
passing away...

Moose is 7 years old and has been battling very soft stools for close
to a year now.  I've spent close to $2,000 on this poor guy between
medications, ex-rays, barium swallows, exams, blood tests, everything
except surgery.  Where he is 7, I hesitate to put him through that unless
absolutely necessary (and safe).  Anyway, he's stopped eating a few days
ago and I put him on a bland diet of baby food.  He's on Amoxi, Biaxin and
Pepto, he's now grinding his teeth something awful.  He's been coming to
work with me over the last few days so I can give him Pepto, babyfood and
Pedialyte every few hours.  Fortunately I work in the High Tech industry,
so they encourage "odd behavior" so I exploit that by bringing in my
ferrets!  Good thing the CFO is an ex-ferretguy.

Anyway, yesterday was a particularly bad day for Moose.  I fasted him for
some blood tests, yet he started vomiting what I am assuming was saliva.
Every time I'd feed him, he'd just grind his teeth.  This morning I woke
up and went to find him to give him is breakfast.  He was asleep in my
closet, snuggled up in a pair of sweatpants with two of his buddies.  I
reached in and felt him, he didn't move, and he felt somewhat cool.  I
wasn't sure if the heat that I did feel was from the other ferrets.  He
didn't stir at all or open his eyes as I moved him.  I picked up all three
ferrets, in the sweatpants and brought them back to bed with me.  As I
held the group of ferrets, both Critter and Gus nuzzled Moose and licked
his ears.  Critter was licking his ears almost frantically as if to say
"wake up".  I felt Moose again and just couldn't tell if he was with me
or not...I didn't want to disturb the whole group, just in case, I wanted
them (and me) to be able to snuggle Moose and say their goodbyes.

As I held them, I felt waves of sadness but yet also felt joy that Moose
passed comfortably, in his sleep, cuddled close to his buddies.  As my
emotions were battling it out, I was thinking to myself that I should call
the vet and tell them that I was going to bring Moose in for cremation, I
should call my boss and tell him I was going to be late (or not in at
all) I hugged Moose a little tighter and still felt no movement.  I was
thinking that I'm not getting up just yet, I'm going hold him a little
longer.  He was never a cuddler, he preferred to follow you and beg for
treats rather than be held.  Seven years old, and I finally get to hold
him quietly.  As I gave him another hug, his dear little eyes opened and
he sighed.

Okay, that's my cue...get my butt out of bed, heat up the baby food, get
out the meds, get the Pedialyte...Moose is still in town!

Amy
Critter, Rascal, SusieQ, Moose, GusGus, Little Buster, Tequila
Missing the original Buster Brown...still