From:
Bill Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 1995 23:42:15 -0400
     Since Rocky, Squeekers, & now Peaches pretty much have the free run
of the house we are sometimes all too aware of their comings and goings.
Can't say that darksness slows them down a bit.  On the other hand Rocky is
blind as well as  suffering from insulinoma, has very limited use of her
hind legs, and well watching her, one has to truly marvel.  She long ago
memorized the location of every object larger than the size of a rasin in
the house (ate the rest), and keeps up on the day to day changes by a
periodic sweep around the perimeter and working inward, carefully smelling
and commiting to memory any changes.

        She knows exactly how many steps from the new hidy hole to the food
dish, and how many from the corner of the couch to the table leg, and then
to the side of the counter.  She also knows that there is a small door jamb
between the kitchen and the dining room.

        The real fun starts when our newest ferret 'Peaches' comes over to
investigate and Rocky catches her scent.  Now Rocky has almost eight years
of experience and probably knows by now that she won't last forever, but she
sure isn't going to admit it to some 'cute one year old chick' who might be
just trying to catch the eye of Squeekers.

        In a moment she is hot on the scent, and Peaches is heading away at
full speed.  Rocky stops, sniffs the air, and feigns disinterest.  Peaches
knows better, but curiosity overcomes ans she circles back to come in from
the rear.  Rocky knows this and is waiting, but Peaches keeps her distance.
Eventually Peaches does lose interest.  Rocky wanders around for a while,
gets a good idea of where the prey has gone, sneeks up, and WHAM, poor
Peaches is begging for mercy.  Rocky tires quickly and lets go, and heads
off for a nap with a smirk on her face, I swear it.

        Once, she was laying in wait as Peaches was getting up from her nap,
and got the poor gal real good since I couldn't get to them.  Old age and
treachery will win out over youth and enthusiasm almost any day of the week.