From:
Tressie Dutchyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2008 07:57:12 -0400
Hi Misty, What a horrible and frightening experience you've had. I'm
posting this on the FML so that it will be in the archives for future
reference as well as, writing to you directly. Please consider posting
your message to our forum the DMK Rescues. We have quite a few members
all who have adopted Ohio rescues. Link is:

Now as to your situation. You have not said how long you've had
Rhea nor whether she's been spayed or descented. You do say she was
affectionate in the past and that this behaviour came on suddenly.
You said the vet checked her over thoroughly and didn't find anything
wrong. I am assuming he checked her teeth and anal glands as well?
How was she with the vet? Did she attack him as well?

All these things are important to get a better picture. If she's only
attacking in your home environment and there is nothing wrong with her
physically (e.g., driven mad with pain or infection or tumor) then it
sounds like there is something in your environment that is triggering
post-traumatic stress in her. It could be as simple as someone having
dropped something and making a loud clang, the sound of a particular
type of voice or the smell of a cleaning solution, a perfume or if
you've just started a medication that has changed your smell and
now there's a behavioural chain reaction. The fact that it came on
suddenly, out of the blue does lead one to strongly suspect a trigger,
if not due to illness. This happens in animals the same as it happens
in humans. She is reliving a very threatening experience, literally
reliving it and she would have two options - flee or attack. Its very
primal. And she's in attack mode.

I would keep her separate from the group for now, if possible in her
own cage unless she's bonded with another ferret she's comfortable
with. Cover the cage with a blanket or sheet so that its a safe,
non-stimulus environment for her. When you feed her or change the
litter wear heavy gloves and a jacket or something to protect your
arms. For now minimize your interaction with her until she calms down.
There are people in the ferret community who are prepared to take on
the challenge of a difficult behaviourally challenged ferret as you
know. Do consider joining our forum, there is a wealth of experience
and we can offer you support to get you through this until she either
settles down or you can rehome her. The fact that she was affectionate
with you in the past is a very positive sign that once she feels secure
her behaviour will normalize once again. It would be important to try
and figure out what the trigger may be for her future owner. Think
about what was new that was introduced into the environment about the
time of her first attack, could even be a person visiting.

Warmest Regards,
Tressie

Tressie A. Dutchyn, MA ID PhD student,
Dalhousie University Research Associate,
Community Health & Epidemiology
http://port.mcgill.ca/dutchyn.htm